Todays Bimble to Weston-Super-Mare

A pleasant trip from Bath to Weston-Super-Mare via Wells and Bridgewater. A bacon butty at the Victorian Cafe on the sea front. The object of the ride was to see the new attraction See Monster (that is how it is spelt). A converted oil rig which is part of ten projects funded with £120 million quid. Is it good value? Its free to go in and see it and there were many crowd barriers outside but no queues. I was left somewhat non-plussed by the whole thing. Our return was via Cheddar. The downside was the main road was close close to the top of the gorge. A large green lane diversion had to be taken but a successful ride out.

10 Likes

Lovely. I quite miss that part of the world.

1 Like

That makes me thinking about that crazy sea platform used to create a “Republic”. I’m sure some of you already heard about.

4 Likes

An interesting article.

“Rose Island was occupied by the Italian police forces on 26 June 1968, subject to naval blockade, and eventually demolished in February 1969.[3][4]

I’m not sure a naval blockade could get anywhere near Weston-Super-Mare, the tide goes out too far.

Wasn’t one of our WWII Maunsell forts turned into an independent principality?

1 Like

Appears some became pirate radio stations and a principality. At least they were surrounded with water.

2 Likes