Today's run

Dry and warm today, if not sunny, so went for a bit of a run, staying in Dumfries & Galloway this time. I took the excellent Castle Douglas to Ayr road as far as Carsphairn (a distinctly remote village in the middle of nowhere), and then turned right on to the quiet B729 for Moniaive, stopping on an old stone bridge for a sandwich.

Winding across the moors, it eventually arrived at Moniaive, where I found that the Dumfries road down Glencairn was closed for the dreaded surface dressing, so I tackled the extremely steep single track road out of the village towards Tynron. Both the climb up and the descent on the other side are as steep as the well known Lakeland passes, but thankfully without the hairpins that make Wrynose and Hardknott such a challenge. Lovely views eastwards over Nithsdale from the top.

Eventually I got back to the Glencairn road, with nice twists and turns down to Dumfries, and then on down to Glencaple to sit awhile by the River Nith, at an unusually low tide.

Then a final run home, dodging more of the surface dressing which is blighting the area at the moment.

12 Likes

Traversed those often when visiting the then inlaws in The Lakes - the FIL ran the Ravenglass/Eskdale narrow gauge railway. Had some lovely footplate rides on that!

5 Likes

More of a Dempsey and Makepeace man, myself…

I’ll get my coat.

4 Likes

over my head

My usual route north from home is up the Crow Road, through the Campsie Hills and over to Kippen, but a long stretch of road into Kippen has just been resurfaced and top dressed with loose gravel. A normally fun route ruined with this suicidal surface treatment. :rage:

The damned stuff is everywhere at the moment. If only they would roll it in and sweep it. The only consolation is that it should gradually get back to normal in a month or so.

2 Likes

Note to self… buy a scrambler

2 Likes

I guess they’d still skid on loose gravel.