Touring on electric motorcycles - FIM survey

“Swappable Batteries Motorcycle Consortium”:

21 companies related to the motorbike industry have joined forces, among them Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Piaggio, Polaris, Samsung, Suzuki and Yamaha. The idea is to establish a standard for swappable batteries.

As opposed to what’s the case for battery powered cars, a motorcycle battery is relatively small and light and easy to remove. So instead of, or in addition to, charging stations, there will be battery swapping stations where you just replace the battery and off you go. Interesting.

3 Likes

Andy, I’ve been told by an electric car owner that if you go high speed on the motorway, you’re not going to get very far. Maybe if you spend £70,000 on a Tesla you will. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

That’s what I see here too. Coming back from Germany today passed a load of electric cars in my Aygo including several Teslas which were going between 100 and 120km/hr. I’ve never seen anyone giving their electric cars the beans.

1 Like

(600) Ride an Electric Bike around the UK in UNDER 96hrs!!! - YouTube

Teapotone, worth watching all 3 parts. A very fair assessment of the current situation.

The Energica Eva Ribelle that Marc is riding starts at £26.7k before you add any options.

An electric bike really doesn’t make any sense right now.

Just back from Munich, crossing Switzerland, and more and more Tesla, some Volvo C40 on the motorway.
They just go slower on the “no restriction” parts to save batteries, otherwise 120 kmh as everybody lese