UK Motorcycle Parking app

I discovered the UK Motorcycle Parking app the other day. I’ve use Parkopedia before but this is specifically aimed at motorcycle parking. Has anyone else used it?

There are a couple of other, similar apps that I haven’t tried. I’m going to see how it does with this one for a while.

I have an iPhone so it uses Apple Maps. I assume the Android version uses Google Maps. The parking data is crowdsourced, which I like because one thing that annoys me is maps that are wrong and you have no way to get them corrected.

Yesterday I added a few bays I know of that aren’t in the app yet. It does say that the entry will be checked, presumably just to make sure no one is trying to get you to park your bike in the middle of Lake Windermere. Though if you try that you’re probably getting what you deserve. I just had a look and the bays haven’t been added yet. We’ll see how long it take. If the process fails then it’ll undermine the app’s integrity and I’ll probably try something else.

Links to the app on the storees below. Different icons but it’s the same developer.

2 Likes

Thanks, with these sort of apps I think they wait until a few others report the same info before it updates.

Hi @Crispey good to hear from you, it has been a long while. Are you still riding?

yeah, when I can get the time! still got the Thruxton and bought a tiger 900 GT Pro to replace my written off 800.

That’s a good point. It would take the numbers to make it work though and I’m, not sure the app would have them. How else they’d check I’m not sure.

It has one marked in my home town which isn’t an obvious parking spot but it is the right size for bikes and I have seen bikes parked there in the past, so that part looks right.

I’ve downloaded it as it could be useful. :+1:

1 Like

That is good to hear.

I’d forgotten about this until the other day. I checked the app and it has added the motorcycle parking bays that I submitted (see earlier in the thread). Not sure how long it takes to get the data updated but it does seem to work. I’ll be adding more places as I come across them.

1 Like

I wonder if it removes defunct spots too?
Most Cornwall Council carparks allow free parking for motorcycles (with conditions), also even cars are free over the winter months in many of them.
Sadly the council have started selling off “the family silver” assets to balance the books.
My favourite spot at Newquay (Towan) headland

has been sold off and is now chargeable to all and all year round. Adding insult, the dedicated bike area is away from the best views. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
There’s ANPR cameras on the road, not sure how that works if you ride the road but don’t stop. :thinking:
Newquay has gone down hill rapidly over the past few decades, it seems risky to even pause to take in the view now, best avoided from now on IMO.

(That should’ve gone in the rant thread :laughing:)

1 Like

I always thought Newquay was far from the best part of Cornwall, anyway. Good point about removing parking areas. I’ll have a look in to that.

1 Like

I’m just going to put this app to the test as I’ve downloaded just now and curious. Hope thieves don’t use it as they will know where to look for bikes!!
Noticed it only had one reviewer since set up over four years

If they want money for me to park my bike, I ride on…

1 Like