Welder recommendation

Not for me, but for a pal (I hope to use it though :wink:) who’s wanting to get into welding at a hobby basis. I thought starting with a simple MIG kit would be the best starting point, but don’t know the cheapest way for him to get into it. I know he’s eyeing up night school type of courses… but he wants something to play with at home.

@Tigcraft may be able to offer a few pointers. Possibly @Iron, too?

This is the bees knees in help!! Mig welding forum

3 Likes

@Andyc1 you been on the mig welding forum yet?

No, I had a look a few months ago but haven’t signed up

@Tigcraft recommended me this one and its a great piece of kit. Very easy to achieve a nice weld compared to the one I was using before.

5 Likes

I can’t fault the couple of hundred spent on a no gas MIG welder. No gas bottles just use the wire supplied and off you go. I’d go for Andy’s suggestion above if you want TIG etc as well.
They’ll get you into how to become more confident at it. It’s not really difficult it’s just hard to get the knack and the confidence in using it.
You’ll need to buy a proper automatic welding mask/helmet as the ones supplied are poo.

5 Likes

The unit AndyC1 has was value for money WITH potential to grow. A lot of the smaller ones don’t have fine tuning like this one does and that’s when you can ruin your workpiece. I nearly bought one as a backup as I make my living welding and I’ve seen and used the same one in the flesh from a fabricator chap I know. You can run them with or without gas subject to wire chosen. One thing to remember is if you buy a budget gasless unit and you grow to like and want to use gas then your machine won’t switch over as it doesn’t have the facilities.

3 Likes