What do you do for a living?

I’m just being nosey really.

I’ll start.

I’m a semi-retired accountant but please don’t hold that against me. By accountant standards, I’m fairly interesting, although admittedly that’s not setting the bar very high.

7 Likes

We’re very inclusive here. Even semi-retired accountants are allowed in and treated like normal people :wink:

I can say this as a not-retired-at-all person who works in IT, which usually has people glazing over and edging towards the door at parties.

5 Likes

Well hello, you might recognise my moniker. After having two jobs in 32 years (Retail management and recruitment) i found myself having 3 jobs in 18 months. This led to some soul searching and a decision to be responsible for myself and my actions rather than be accountable for the actions of 100’s of other people. So i retrained and am now an HGV driver. Luckily it just preceded the current driver shortage so i went from earning less than i was used to, to more for less responsibility. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

7 Likes

Work for a very large online retailer and have been for almost 10 years. Have had many roles that make me feel a bit like Chandler from Friends. Family and friends have no clue really what the job entailed for most of my roles.

4 Likes

elcome to the forum, stinger!

That’s quite a change of office. Good for you, though. Changing career direction isn’t easy. Glad it’s worked out for you. Do you travel in to Europe as part of the job? Or should I say, queue up to drive in to Europe.

I work for an American company and fix ct, vascular and all x-ray systems in the midlands.
Mustn’t grumble too much (although i do) as if nothings broken, i stay at home and still get paid…
Yes, more farkles for triumpy!

5 Likes

Well I’m a fabricator/vehicle restorer of some sorts that also does property maintenance who works on escalators………… who used to teach MJ dance in my spare time…… phew that was the easiest I’ve ever explained that!!

5 Likes

I’m a retard.

No, wait, I meant I’m retired! Well, ‘officially’ I’m retired but I do still work part time for the local Mercedes Benz dealership group as a driver. The “driver” title is something of a catchall term, really, embracing delivery and collection of customer vehicles; on-site vehicle movements; runner fleet logistics and so on. It doesn’t pay particularly well but it does have its benefits, not least getting paid to sit behind the wheel of some (usually) nice vehicles and then, most often, enjoy a train ride home.

The ‘pleasure’ side of things isn’t always a given, of course, and I’ve had journeys - both ways - that I’d really rather not repeat. Ever.

Before retirement I spent the majority of my working life in “computing” which, of course, morphed into ‘IT’.

6 Likes

A very good fabricator/restorer from what I’ve seen! What’s MJ dancing?

Modern jive!! Classes for you nt lass in holmfirth!

1 Like

I’m not dancing with you, Eric. How many more times…

Don’t knock it till you try! :wink:

1 Like

Domestic appliance engineer - i remember thinking - id love to lay on dirty kitchen floors repairing some machines that are really fit for the skip.

5 Likes

Hello,

I’m a commercial diver and ROV Pilot. Currently working offshore in the North Sea.

4 Likes

I have been retired for 4 years now. Did 36 years as a printer then after being made redundant for the 3rd time, decided that printing in this country was finished. I did a security course and lasted a month doing mainly nights as a security officer before leaving to become a delivery driver for a national records and media storage company, which became my favourite job as I was basically my own boss most of the day and I got to see a lot more of the country. Our branch folded so I finished a year early and expected to get more time out on the bike, except now I have a garden to look after too.

5 Likes

Another one retired, also for 4 years now, so doing bugger all for a living these days.
Previously a mechanical design engineer incorporating the use and setting up of CAD/FEA/PDM plus supervising other users. Most of my career spent in the design of Oil & Gas borehole exploration equipment. Not sure how an apprenticeship at Raleigh Cycles on a drawing board prepared me for all that. :laughing:

6 Likes

After years in the post degree pinball world of “nothing of any consequence”, marriage and mortgage and kids meant grabbing something that had some security, and purely by chance, and for no discernible reason…I work in IT; entirely by accident.

I’d get out if only I knew how…

Hearing other people who have made a change (HGV driver etc) may be a passing comment on your part but a slither of hope for some… Interesting to hear other people’s stories.

Thanks for sharing.

6 Likes

Retired town planner (local authority head of planning), now, at 73, partly employed helping the wife with her antiques business (i.e. humping heavy oak furniture in and out of vans) and looking after our holiday letting cottage (i.e. cleaning showers and toilets). I seem to have made some bad life choices recently… Still manage to find some time for motorbikes though, which keeps me more or less sane (allegedly).

6 Likes

Well I started off as an MOD apprentice building Challenger 2’s. Then marriage, kids, divorce, etc whilst earning something to make ends meet meant I was a Technical Manager, Operations Manager, Apprentice Tutor… etc. Commuting miles all for what?

And now you could say I’ve gone full circle; I walk/jog 2k to work, no car or commute expense and I TIG weld aluminium all day. Gas runs out - someone elses problem, staff don’t show - not my concern, stuck in traffic whilst the email inbox is like lottery numbers - not my worry anymore :+1:

9 Likes

Retired at 45 from the electronics industry, worked all over the world, good money but employers had no respect for personal life and acted like they owned me, flying to Pacific asia, the US, Canada at 4-5 hours notice, exciting when you’re in your 20’s, pain in the arse when you have 3 kids and you’re in your 40’s. I squirreled away enough cash and pensions to fuck them off and do what i fancied, part time jobs on the spanners, delivering fruit, working with people with behavioural problems, allsorts for last 16 years, as soon as i get bored i move on to something else, i don’t have to do it so no pressure.

6 Likes