Where is Nemesis when she's needed?

Up in Glasgow today on business. On the way home, we were sat in the van at a red traffic light on Lancefield Quay at the foot of the Squinty Bridge. A cyclist appeared from the opposite direction at unusually high speed. He whizzed straight through the red light, looking neither right nor left to see if anything was coming. Miraculously nothing was, and he sailed on, with his sense of entitlement and personal immortality no doubt reinforced. I confess to a certain disappointment that there wasn’t a bus or a gravel lorry there to demonstrate what traffic lights are for…

3 Likes

Sooner or later he’s going to find himself sprawled across the bonnet of destiny.

2 Likes

And it will be the driver of said vehicles fault and not the selfish idiot on the bike.

2 Likes

I wonder how many similar conversations are had about motorcycles?

1 Like

The car drivers around here are very motorcycle aware, its the first thing i noticed when i moved to Wales nearly 14 years ago, there are also loads of cycling clubs and they get a fair shake too, but everyone i know has commented how since the highway code changes the spandex brigade seem to getting much more militant, riding 2-3-4 abreast when there’s absolutely no need, just because they can. I’m sure the number of injuries are going to rise sharply, they seem willing to take more risks and aggravate other road users just to vaunt their “rights”.

2 Likes

Although the Code was updated, they’ve always had those basic rights as vulnerable road users. If they’re thinking they have acquired Batfink-like wings of steel then they probably need a lesson in self-preservation, which as we all know is the top priority for any rider, with or without an motor.

1 Like

No law against overtaking them, then gradually slowing down… :wink:

Sometimes when out on my Triumph I am in the mood for a gentle bimble along the back roads. If another vehicle catches me up wanting to go faster, I normally pull over or even stop to let them past.

A couple of days ago, driving my van on a narrow, twisty road with numerous blind bends, I caught up with a lycra-clad couple cycling two abreast at a leisurely pace. Instead of moving temporarily into single file to let me pass, as I would have done as a matter of simple good manners, they stayed resolutely two abreast for the next mile until the road straightened out enough to let me by. As Pat says, just because they can. F*****g ignorant if you ask me.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before-there should be a quota, like fishing. Kick off just one or two a day, for argument’s sake :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Some of the one I encounter are courteous enough to pull into single file but you always come across those arrogant twats that purposely hold you up. I even had a lone licra twat swerve out into the middle of the road in front of me when he heard me coming.

3 Likes

There’s a bit of a Lycra theme developing here :slight_smile:

I think normal (non Lycra) cyclists are quite obliging but I suspect the Lycra brigade are on some kind of mission and you can almost guarantee they’re timing their ride and nothing can interfere with the need for a new personal best.

2 Likes

Although the twat in Glasgow that I started this thread about was bareheaded and dressed in ordinary clothes, so not only the Lycra brigade. I agree that Lycra is generally a good warning sign though.

2 Likes

Lycra Louts

2 Likes

If they’ve got all the Quickstep or Alpecin replica shirts on, you know you’re in for a wait…fucking litter bugs too, i thought they were all drinking sachets of sauce from McDonald’s then throwing them away but apparently its “gel energy sachets” pompous twats.

1 Like

Actually those gels really work if you’re on a long ride. Empty packets can be stuffed in a pocket - littering is ignorant.

2 Likes

Not gel related , but the first time I tried red bull was on the way home on my bike from a BSB meeting up at Cadwell. It’s about 160 fast miles from where I live and I got to near Northampton and was running on empty. Tried one can of Red Bull and wow …! Hyped for the next 50 miles or so home …!
Pure sugar and caffeine…