An Alpine odyssey, attempt two

Earlier this year I had my first ever trip to continental Europe which due to various reasons fell short of reaching the Alps. In an effort to fix that omission I’m boarding a ferry tomorrow for a two week trip which should include lots of Alpine roads. :grin: During the second week the plan is to also meet up with a couple of fellow forum members @Hubaxe and @Vulpes. :smiley:

For the past month I’ve been as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas, now it’s nearly arrived and time to pack!

I didn’t have space for that garlic but I’m sure I’m sure I’ll be able to find some there :laughing:

13 Likes

That all looks very well prepared! Safe crossing, and take care. Looking forward to meeting up! :smiley:

3 Likes

Sound mate, take it steady. Pound is nice and strong currently so don’t skimp on the escargots. :grinning:

3 Likes

Have a fantastic trip all :smile:

1 Like

Packing looks good. Enjoy your trip and meet up with the boys….

3 Likes

Safe travels…!

2 Likes

ride safe! Looking forward to meet and ride around there!

1 Like

First day on the continent didn’t start off looking very promising as we pulled into Rotterdam port.

But the god’s were with me as it only took half an hour to get through passport control and the morning’s ride on motorways and urban roads only produced a few spits of rain.

By the lunchtime stop at a motorway services near Leige the sun started to break through then as I left the motorway to go through Nationalpark Eifel there were lots of sunny intervals. :grinning:

The afternoon was spent on sunny roads going through rolling German countryside and up and down forested hills. Despite having all the vents on my jacket open I was sweating buckets by the time I got to the valley with the Moselle river.

Fortunately the ride along the river to my hotel was in shade and the first thing I did when I got into my room was to throw all my clothes off and jump into a cold shower. (No photo! :laughing:)

After dressing again I walked into the nearby town.

And purchased some sustenance.

Now I have just got to work out where I’m going tomorrow. Plan was to go through the Black Forest but I’m not sure if the weather is going to play nice.

13 Likes

Not…jealous…at…all. :sob:

3 Likes

Good show BM!!!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great first day. Which town you in?

Looks like Traben-Trarbach to me… :smiley:

1 Like

It is :slight_smile: Today I head via Kaiserslautern to the Black Forest and stay somewhere to the west of there. Forecast is heavy rain for first part though it looks like it’s easing off in the afternoon.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, forecast for next week is also on rain.
Do you plan to ride along the “Bodensee” (Lake of Constanz) ?

Wasn’t planning on going as far as the lake, something like parallel to it to head south west into Austria, but that would be tomorrow.

2 Likes

Fantastic, enjoy yourself and post all the details please.

3 Likes

Fortunately this morning I listened to Mrs Mouse who convinced me that I shouldn’t try and time my journey to dodge the heavy rain and should just go for it. So I set off soon after breakfast into misty and drizzly German countryside.

The rain eased up half way to Keiserslautern, and by the time I arrived I was riding on dry roads with the sun breaking through. At my fuel stop there I dispensed with my waterproof trousers and gloves, and celebrated with an ice-cream for elevensies. :yum: This was at the time the forecast said I should be in heavy rain, phft, they’re useless.

Leaving Keiserslautern I was on dry mountain roads through forrests and enjoying sweeping bends.

On dropping out the hills at Bad Bergzabern I popped into a petrol station just to get lunch supplies. Not long after I found a picnic layby to eat my meat and cheese rolls with a nice view over a vineyard.

My route then cut through France and the change was immediately obvious. I guess from the look of the houses and the street signs, but the agriculture also changed to maize and hops (I think).

Once I finished cutting the corner off France (sorry France!) I crossed the Rhine back into Germany via what looks like a repurposed railway bridge.

As I got into sight of the mountains of the black forest I could see they were topped with clouds and on getting closer could feel spots of rain starting. Deciding it wise to avoid getting wet jeans I pulled into a petrol station to don waterproofs. However by the time I had topped up with fuel and bought emergency supplies for the evening I had changed my mind again and decided to risk it.

I’m glad I did, because once I got up and joined the B500 I was riding under blue skies with dry roads :grin:

As it was mid afternoon I found a cafe on the B500 to get refreshments and work out where I was going to stay for the night. I had an alcohol free beer and was tempted by the black forest gateaux, but I’ve heard that they can sometimes get heavy handed with the booze in those so played it safe with cheese cake.

Using my phone I found a suitable hotel on the B500 but then on using satnav to plan route I saw a large section of the B500 was closed (a German couple riding a T100 confirmed).

So instead I found some cheap digs in an out of the way valley and had to detour onto 40 km of sweeping moutain roads :grin: (Though the large town of Freudenstadt on the way was all tedious 30km/h speed limit.)

My hotel room looks like it was last refurbished in the seventies, with brown and orange furnishings, woodchip wallpaper and a general worn look. At least the fixings in the bathroom look several decades newer.

On the balcony my evening ‘meal’ consists of a bottle of Pills and two Mars bars. (The emergency supplies I bought earlier.) Nice enough view though.

I hope there is some fruit or something for breakfast. I feel I need some vitamins!

14 Likes

For someone who hadn’t ridden abroad a year ago you are on a roll.
Fantastic write up.
Watch your food intake though as you are burning calories and need to keep your body fed. If you don’t it will all seem like hard work and the enjoyment stops…!
Safe riding.
Well done for just going for it…!

7 Likes

Another great days report. Shame about dinner, but hopefully breakfast will be awesome. Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Doing well! Get some proper food in ye!

1 Like