Bad time for Tesla Drivers

I’m sure the technology and infrastructure will get there, but it’s not there yet.

We’ll probably have at least two changes of government before 2030. Anyone else think that the 2030 switch over will just get pushed back?

1 Like

I think you are absolutely correct in waiting till it is right for you.
There is a lot of problems with the charging infrastructure at the moment that can make a longer journey a nightmare. But for a person that, say, never travels more than 100 miles from home and gets a car with, say, 250 mile range and if they can have a home charger fitted, they will NEVER need to use an external charger, so the charger infrastructure’s inadequacies would not be a problem. Of course that just proves that an EV might be a good decision if you fit that criteria and many many people don’t.

I’m not sure if the 2030 switchover will get pushed back, I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. But it is not impossible to achieve. Norway have almost completed their switchover.

2 Likes

Norway is a completely different kettle of sprats surely ?

Yes they have more money and a more effective bunch of politicians (well they seem more effective to me at least) (I used to live in Norway). Different but not completely different.
They have a more eco friendly national attitude, better investment in changing infrastructure, a much smaller population and better incentives.

I completely agree. There is not much technical content in an EV (apart from the software). Technically I find them boring, one of the most amazing things about an EV is that it is so simple.
I think my EV car has almost no personality, efficient yes, but no character. I would hate such a characterless motorbike. Long live the IC engine motorbike.
The obvious solution is that if you own an EV car you should also own a IC engine motorbike. :slight_smile: Preferably a Triumph.

2 Likes

A year last October when there was a petrol shortage it was the EV drivers that were in the smug zone :slight_smile: Just saying

2 Likes

Here you go…FTFY :rofl::rofl:

Ah but…that was a one off where as dumb asses wanting to all travel at the same time during the holidays is an ongoing problem that’s been going on for years so until the infrastructure issues are solved it’ll never go away. As has been said EVs suit some people and I don’t have a problem with that, BUT they’re not the silver bullet and never will be, plus of course all the current tax incentives low ved rates and cheap electricity will come to an end as the government are loosing millions probably billions in lost revenue. I will probably go down the EV route eventually but it will more likely be a small second car like the MG4 while keeping an ICE car or hybrid for longer joirneys and as @AndyPandy has said the initial purchase cost of an ev vs the ongoing cost of keeping an ICE just doesn’t make sense for many people, even if they can afford it.

3 Likes

I do believe that we will eventually have no choice but to buy a battery car. Unfortunately they to me at least have all the soul of buying a new fridge or any other electrical appliance. I know many people see current car buying this way but some of us like the different engine characteristics of straight fours, straight sixes, V fours, V sixes, V eights etc. In battery cars an electric motor is an electric motor. Sure they’re very efficient, so is my microwave and my fridge. They’re not very exiting though.
As has been mentioned previously I’ll probably buy the cheapest battery car when I have no choice as just like buying a washing machine or microwave, it doesn’t really matter as long it will do the job.

4 Likes

I have been looking a bit more closely recently (@MrsVisor is going electric) and one of the things I’ve seen is there is an app called Zapmap. If you have a charging point at your house or business you can add it to the app, set times it is available and whatever cost you want to attach to it and people can then come and use it. Apparently it is well used in urban areas, especially if you can rent your driveway space at the same time.

1 Like

Turns out they are getting them :astonished:

2 Likes

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh at other peoples expense.

Not something I know much about, really. I don’t know what I could get to cover my needs better than an old smoker. 30-40k miles per year, average daily commute around 150 miles, could easily be double that, and I can’t afford to spend more than £8-10k on it. At the moment they just look like eight venison legs to me…

2 Likes

I spend quite a bit of time on the uk motorways and the main time I see an ev? Stuffed up behind a lorry doing 54-56 mph as they are saving leccy/running out.
Sure, quicker etc (if you can make it home before it’s gone…) but i’d rather bimble along at the speed limit without thinking about it tbh.

1 Like

Pretty much agree with most of the comments here. I think they are a good option for commuting if you can charge at home each day but they’re definitely not so great for any long distance that requires a boost charge en route. We are only looking at one because we also have a gas guzzling truck for bigger journeys :wink:

6 Likes

This is really worth a view before you splash the cash on an EV.

1 Like

Its a Canadian youtuber and its trucks.He is however insightful, I think you will agree.

The YouTube videos i warch tend to confirm what I already think (confirmation bias I’m sure, but hey); and that is that “EV” are simply a rich persons toy at the moment…

I am a “12 yr old diesel Mondeo driver” and the 5 year cost for car purchase and road tax is, approx £50/m.

The cost of EV ownership will not get down to my level before ICE vehicles are likely outlawed, and so, myself and millions of others, will simply be priced out of private vehicle ownership.

The whole EV thing means nothing to me, as “new car ownership” is no where near on my radar. Just like I don’t look at holidays to the Seychelles… Or fancy iPhones…or anything else that is expensive.

I go on holiday to Bideford…and have an old Android phone…

ditto… Solar panels, heat pumps etc…

This “saving the planet” malarkey is all well and good…but it’s for the rich.

I’m happy with that, however what I don’t like is the propagation of a “them and us” society…I think that’s where the problems will happen…

9 Likes

Not quite sure of the implications of that statement, but I’m gonna snigger anyway… because my childish mind can turn anything rude! You want a euphemism… I’ll give you one. :grimacing: