Bike security while on tour

What precautions do people typically take regarding their bike security while away on tour. I’m mainly thinking over night parking at hotels etc. Doing some U.K. touring is something I’d like to do on my bike, but I’ll admit to being a bit paranoid about just leaving my bike in a hotel car park.

1 Like

I’d ask the hotel about leaving your bike somewhere safe. Sometimes they’re quite reasonable and accommodating, lletting you park close to the building or where they can keep an eye on it, for example.

When I’ve been out-and-about in Europe with friends in the past we would lock all the bikes together, and to something solid if possible. That does mean lugging a heavy chain around. Ok if you have panners or a bike with a large enough space under the seat. Belt and braces with a disc lock has always seemed sensible to me.

(I moved this over to the security sub-cat.)

1 Like

I would agree with @Octoberon - most hotels or pubs with accommodation will usually allow you to park somewhere safely, often a courtyard or similar.

I once stopped at a guest house in Abbeville on my way back from Paris and the guy wanted me to bring the bike through reception and into the garden!

2 Likes

I’ve parked on the street, outside hotel doorways, you name it when abroad, with no problems. Of course it can happen, but you can’t let your fears overwhelm you. A lot of the Ibis chain have gated car parks and quite a few have underground secure parking, although generally it’s chargeable. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep parked my bike at hotels and B&B’s all over the UK and Europe. Usually put a disk lock on depending on location. Never had any problems, so I would just go for it and don’t worry.

1 Like

Good advise, thanks.

I think I’ll just get a decent alarmed disc lock.

2 Likes

And to add another thought, if you’re touring and only stopping one night it doesn’t give the scrotes much time to notice and get organised. So reduces the odds. Having a disc lock with audible alarm and parking under your room window is another option I’ve used (also chain our bikes together when 2 biking with SWMBO).

2 Likes

I always try to find hotels with secure car parks and I’ll put on the disk lock as well. The first night of my arctic trip where I was staying in a hotel in Hamburg, turned up to find no hotel parking whatsoever and had to park on the pavement on a busy road 5 minutes walk from the hotel. I had a very troubled sleep, got up early just to check the bike was still there. It was thank goodness.
Now I check and double check.

2 Likes

Old photos from when SWMBO had a Daytona675 and my SpeedTriple was new, but still using this setup 7yrs on with the Street Triple she now has. Sharing between the two bikes we can just about get chain, padlock and pin to fit under our seats, they’re top notch and bloody heavy (about as big as you can go when mobile) so wouldn’t want them stashed anywhere else.

For normal day rides we just have alarm disc locks (XenaXX14), puncture repair kit, compressor and home made jump leads shared between us, these have to go in the panniers when touring.

If you have one take a bike cover with you too as thieves hate them.

1 Like

I agree. When I had my T’bird LT I always took my cover. It makes it difficult to identify what the bike is and adds a bit more time for any potential tea leafs at the bike. And of course if it rains it keeps it nice and dry. :grinning:

1 Like

I have a Speed Triple. By the time I’ve packed all this security gear, I won’t have space for a spare pair of pants!

1 Like

Simples, go commando… :rofl:

2 Likes

Can you get more pants on a Commando, then? :smile:

1 Like

Has anyone installed a alarm system? I have one in my Tiger. Even locking/unlocking that system via its remote control will make unpleasantly loud noise (same time as it is blinking the signal lights) => I will use/connect it to the battery only if I’m really in the place I’m worrying that something bad could happen.

Alarm can be a source for electrical issues, non-starting bike in the middle of nowhere, etc…
I’m personally not keen on bike alarms.
A friend of mine showed me a disk lock with an alarm built in.
Loud enough to dissuade. Can be a good alternative in my opinion.

1 Like

I just use an alarmed disc lock.

And if you do take a BIG chain, always take both keys with you and locate each somewhere safe and separate.
Don’t ask me why I suggest that….

4 Likes

If there is no secure car park available, I just find a suitable and secure as possible place to put my bike and use a good disc lock.

1 Like

There’s an alarm on my old Street Triple but not on the MV or Sprint. I’m dubious about the effectiveness of noise as a serious deterrent. A committed thief stealing an expensive bike to order is going to have it silenced and away quickly. Most people who see what’s going on are more likely to take a video on their phones that actually do something useful.

A well placed chain and lock wrapped around something immovable is my preference. A disk lock has to do when there’s no room to carry bigger security. Both ideally.

2 Likes