Favourite Kit Purchases

Apart from your bike and bike extras like exhausts, what are your favourite or most useful pieces of bike clothing or equipment e.g., panniers you have purchased and why?

So far in my limited experience my Givi tail pack is proving very useful for my commute - I leave the mounting plate fixed to my pillion seat so simply put the seat on my bike when I want to use the tail pack and fit the seat cowl for my other riding. It’s expandable and is like the Tardis - you can fit a surprising amount of kit in it.

4 Likes

Best couple of quid ever spent on the bike…

4 Likes

Thats interesting, I have a few givi tank bags but didn’t know you can get a mounting plate for the seat… I am going to investigate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mine came with a fuel cap clamp for use as a tank bag and fittings for securing to the pillion seat. Wait one, I’ll go and take some photos…

Edited to add; I thought it all came together…but it was a Christmas present from Helmut and he apparently got all the bits and put them together for my present. He’s not bad really :wink:.

3 Likes

@Andyc1 here you go - it’s the Givi ST610 Sport - T.

(I have noticed it’s not quite straight now I have looked at the photos and that drives me mad, I’ll have to adjust it!!!).

3 Likes

Thanks for that! I think I might just get myself one for day trips :smiley: I have a large tank bag but its just a bit cumbersome on the tank, I use a smaller one instead. The large one would make a perfect tail bag with that bit of kit :ok_hand:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

@Andyc1 this is the seat lock for the tank bag

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got one of those.

1 Like

Was about to hit buy it now on ebay for £24.50 + £3 postage. Then realised its my local dealer selling it so I’ll pop in at the weekend instead :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

For me it has to be my Gore-Tex kit (boots, jacket, jeans and gloves). Staying dry and warm when it is very cold and wet is a key part of enjoying motorcycle riding when the elements is throwing everything it can at you.

3 Likes

@MrsVisor @HelmutVisor cheers just got one this morning… and I even got a further discount for popping into my dealers instead of buying from them off ebay :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Brilliant; that’s a win!!

Heated socks are my best bit of kit, I can ride in winter without my toes hurting. These work well for me on the ‘low’ setting which means the battery lasts 5 or 6 hours, enough for a whole day trip if I remember to turn them off at the lunch break.

This is my second pair, as I originally bought the 3.6V version which lasts longer but the heating element is just underneath the toes, which is no good. I need one that coveres the tops too, especially as my bikes ‘forward’ controls means feet are in the full blast of the wind.

4 Likes

I’ve got the exact same tail bag for my daily use. Very convenient, and not too ugly.
Also got SHAD E48 for travelling.

1 Like

@HelmutVisor I went for Oxford’s Mondial Jacket and jeans. Ride and TMF recommended and used by 3 of my club members. A great fit for me and comfortable with thermal liner in or out. Found myself slightly over heating in a tee shirt with liner installed. at approx 17C. Venting is good in 20C with liner removed in traffic as tested yesterday. Cost me £442.97. Full testing starts with a camping weekend in 2 days and then a 3 week tour to Norway.

5 Likes

Any boots by TCX, I’ve used them since before when they were Oxtar 20+ years and I can’t fault them. Never broken a single zip or had a seam come apart, my current boots are coming up to 10 years old, just quality.

3 Likes

Have to agree, I have a pair which are basically a daytona copy. Pure comfort, prooved themselves to be outstanding in all conditions many many times over.

1 Like

Bought a pair of TCX goretex boots in 2019 just before a trip to Scotland. They were the cheapest pair of goretex boots in the shop (J&S). Funny story- A few years after I went on a long week end bike trip with @Wessa and Tiglet. We stopped for a brew and Wessa said “you’ve got odd boots on”. Sure enough I had one TCX boot on and one Aldi boot. On the way home it pissed down. One foot was dry but there was about an inch of water swishing about in the Aldi boot.
Needless to say, as soon as I got home the Aldi boots went in the bin.
Best other buys are my Richa goretex jacket and troosers and my goretex Rukka gloves. Keeping dry is paramount.

5 Likes

Yes I remember that well :grinning:

I need new boots, and your advises help a lot. I’ll go for a pair of waterproof TCX.

3 Likes