Helmet recommendations…

I’m hoping to have a few quid coming in soon, about £150 should be spare… and I quite fancy a new lid. Obviously I am nowhere near a top end bonnet like a shoei :face_with_peeking_eye: … but I wondered about real world recommendations. I have previously been an AGV wearer, but my last dome was/is an MT blade which I got as a tide-me-over… well, the tide is definitely out. The cheapness has shown the helmet trim to fall apart way earlier than I would expect… so which budget brands would you recommend I try… and any tips (like brand X is always small etc)

1 Like

Before my little windfall when I bought my Shoei I had a Shark Skwal, got in the sale for about £130 and there seem to be plenty of the Skwal and D-Skwal about now in sales for around £150 - £160. I feel like it is a pretty decent helmet for the money. I love the drop - down sun visor as it drops down very low so doesn’t interfere with your vision. It’s a comfortable and good quality helmet I think at that price point.

The very slight negative for me is that the sun visor as it drops down clips the very end of my nose and if I look up really high it would also touch slightly (I have since read that it is an experience other people have had too). It is not annoying enough that I would not buy another if needed however.

The XS fit me well, as does XS in Shoei, I would say that the Shark is possibly slightly narrower or has cheek pads that are a bit thicker than the thickness of the ones I have in my Shoei, it was a very tight fit on my cheeks.

4 Likes

Part of me fancies a new helmet as I’ve two and would like a third. Both of mine are shoei and both fit well but one is plain white that was bought in a sale (probably because IT was white). A mate of mine has about 6+ helmets and I thought it’s I suppose it’s only like shoes for the wife………
But …. There’s a lot of choices these days

1 Like

I always found that Shark Helmets are well priced for the features and quality.
But helmet is a question of taste.
I currently have a Skwal I bought discounted in a shop.

1 Like

Scorpion are worth a look

1 Like

I have an LS2 helmet which can be used as a full face or open face. It was reasonably priced and works well.

1 Like

We have been using Caberg flip fronts for a few years. Currently in Horus Scout, previously Duke 11. Comfortable, reasonably quiet and decent pricing from Sportsbikeshop.

2 Likes

I am quite interested in this one…

1 Like

Just wondering what do people think is the quietest lid on the market ?

That’s a difficult one to quantify as it depends on more than just the helmet. The shape of the wearer’s head matters, for example.

For me, and out of all I have tried, Shoei.

3 Likes

Flip front lids always seem to perform well in noise tests, with Schubert and Shoei doing particularly well.

4 Likes

I’ve always worn Shoei helmets, they just always seem to fit perfectly my current Shoei is an NXR Michael Dunlop replica and Mrs W has a Shoei Capitan. Having said all that, i grew up wearing open face helmets and they are my preference, i only wear the full face in the very worst of weather. Even on sports bikes i wore open face shoeis. However last time i bought a new lid (8 years ago) the best fit was surprisingly an Arai open face. Honestly my advice would be save for a bit longer and with a bigger budget

buy the best fitting helmet you can. Mrs W has a Bell open face which she loves

3 Likes

Stop being a clever dick. I wouldn’t expect your opinion based on using someone else’s head now would I ?

I have heard the flip front ones are quietest, I think because of the way they operate, the gap at the bottom is far smaller than “normal” helmets.

I find my Shoei (GT Air2) quiet compared to my Shark, but that is all I have to go on experience - wise so my opinion’s not worth very much there!!

1 Like

The reply was certainly anything but being (as you call it) a dick. The shape of the wearers head has probably the most bearing on which is a quiet helmet.
Having used Arai, Shoei, AGV, Suomi and now NEXX. I’ll not bother explaining which is, was the quietest.
Some people just cannot be helped. I fear you are one of them.

He called him a clever dick, not a dick. A clever dick is not at all derogatory in my book, its a popular old phrase.

3 Likes

nice Laverda !!

1 Like

I think my next one should be a Shark EVO one (modulable). But I won’t buy an helmet online, will go to the stores and try them, and can go out with whatever is comfortable + in my budget.

I was tryingt to avoid the tricky subject of your head… :grin:

1 Like