Local elections and tactical voting

The processing of applications is dire but the whole migrant issue is blown out of proportion. You’d think they’re responsible for all the problems in the country listening to some media outlets and government ministers. It’s a classic distraction technique.

EU is UK issue ==> brexit
ok… it’s even worse now… hmm migrants are UK issue :grinning:
… (type your next major issue)

1 Like

Opinion polls indicate that migrants are not a major issue for most people, who are more concerned about energy prices, the cost of living, housing shortages and the state of the NHS after 13 years of the present government. The government is trying to rile people up about immigration to distract attention from its record on these issues. In fact, we have an ageing population and a shrinking workforce, so turning away people who want to work here doesn’t make much sense.

I reckon that applies to most countries in Europe.

1 Like

1 Like

For me it is not about asylum seeking. It is more about illegal entry to our shores. The problems that illegal people entering our country causes is easy to see in many local communities across the country.
I for one am all for deporting people who come here illegally. That is not withstanding those who come through legal channels and genuinely want to settle and work and pay taxes, who are welcome imo.

It is true that the current cost of living crisis is what people are interested in, but let’s not forget that which ever political colour you support it is unlikely that they would do anything about the blatant profiteering that is going on by big business across all industries.

2 Likes

I agree that neither of the major parties has any intention of challenging big business profiteering. It’s depressing.

1 Like

Agreed. It is always the people that have to pay the price. No pun intended……

1 Like

Well i’m sorry if you don’t like those words but they are part of the english language these days.

I know this is your forum but please leave my choice of words to me. Perhaps you should appoint an independent admin and withdraw from imposing your political views on forum members ?

What’s an ‘illegal person’? If you come to this country claiming asylum you’re not doing anything illegal. You should be processed and allowed to stay if you’re given refugee status, sent home if not.

90% of the people who crossed the channel last year claimed asylum. Less than 1% received a decision. That’a a failure of government to put adequate processes in place. It’s pretty clear that their strategy is to dehumanise these people and turn them away without consideration. It’s shameful.

1 Like

You can express an opinion without using inciteful rhetoric, Andy.

1 Like

As I understand it, asylum has to be claimed before entry into the selected country. Therefore, all those rocking up in boats are illegal. This does not mean that I condone the government’s lack of ability to provide a legal route.

1 Like

Agreed. If the government deliberately refuses to provide a legal route, people can’t fairly be criticised as ‘illegal’.

Now here’s a truly illegal one:

I don’t think it’s necessary to apply before arriving. This is on the government’s website:

You should apply when you arrive in the UK or as soon as you think it would be unsafe for you to return to your own country.

I agree with the first and second sentences wholeheartedly. However, it is made extremely difficult for refugees to come to our countries through legal channels. When people do though, they should be processed quickly, and not be left hanging in the balance for ages, as is the case now.

I also think that “refugees” who cause problems like stabbings, theft and rape whilst being processed should be evicted without any ado. No place for such individuals in our community, I don’t think.

2 Likes

The government has recently changed the law, I think it was only passed last week. Not sure what the law is now but i’m sure it makes all these people coming across the channel illegal.

Therein lies your problem. Your judgement on what is “inciteful rhetoric” is clouded by your political views. Even the BBC has carried journalistic items on “wokeness” and “snowflakes”. Words which to the best of my knowledge are in common use in this country.

My problem, if I have one, is the context in which those words are used.

Explain please.