Motorcycle Art

That’s the right twitter account. Just followed. If you don’t do twitter, there’s some more of his work at Ian Cater Motorcycle art – in 2 motorsports. Apparently he has a website but it doesn’t seem to be active.

Of course, another who has great skill in picking a scene is Tom Fritz. Believe me it’s really difficult to block out paintings like this

Lots of Harleys but all sorts

His hot rods and racers are stunning

Lots to look at https://www.fritzart.com/

3 Likes

William Fisk, not the 18thC RA one who painted portraits, but the one from Toronto, Canada who paints photorealistic stuff. He does all sorts but his motorcycle studies are wonderful. Oil painted, clever. I like his ‘neatness’ with everything.

Find his, not so much, stuff at Motorcycles — WILLIAM FISK

3 Likes

Thanks for all the posts, @Iron, this is a great thread! I’ve got one piece of motorcycle art in my home office at the moment (I tried posting a pic but it’s spoiled by the reflection of me in the glass) and plan to add more post house renovation. Lots of ideas here to ponder.

I’d have the Fritz red coloured one in my house anytime… but the Fisk ones are next level!

1 Like

This is Daniel Simon - he plays with the big boys. I look at but don’t normally write home about digital art. But his 3D designs are really out of this world.
Remember these guys

Yep, Oblivion, Tron etc etc. But back in 2007 he brought out a book called Cosmic Motors. A quite amazing display of his imagination and skills both in 3D art and photography, real girls were integrated with his designs, both were well…the detailing is astounding.

He invented a bike called the Detonator - a brutal V8 6.0 litre street cruiser.

Worth looking out for his books and a scan down his Facebook thingy

This was his Christmas Card

3 Likes

Canadian Don MacMillan’s warm acrylics. Some of the paintings are quite large each produced from several photos.

Hard to find anything about this man these days but well worth searching.

1 Like

This is the amazing Kenji Shibata.
He did a motorcycle logo for one of his pictures at college and really wasn’t interested in motorcycles. Once looking at an actual race machine, to complete the project, he was hooked. Being introduced to a leading Japanese race team’s bikes…well he’s being doing his art of iconic Japanese racers (even cars) ever since.

We all need one of these on the wall

And here he is at work

3 Likes

Going away from photorealism and to climb into ye olde Kustom Kulture.
I couldn’t really not direct you to the Big Daddy - Ed Roth

He broke ground with his art in the 60s. It wasn’t too dissimilar to today’s anti whatever demos, here’s him teaming up with Dave Mann and selling posters through Custom Bike magazine showing a bit of politics, tut tut

He’s well known for his art, custom builds and the iconic Rat Fink. I’ve been asked to paint his designs on all sorts even including Pilot’s Helmets

He sort of covered every make of vehicle due to the popular demand but it shows the feeling around triumphs of the day

Here he is again on Mike Vils’ Triumph called “Brute” (The colour scheme not too dissimilar to me old A75 chop)

Go have a look, Dude, cause his art is still cool, cosmic Brother

2 Likes

I’ve always like this guy’s work but hadn’t seen any photos of him, until now. Thanks!

This is Martin Squires who produces ‘sketches’ for magazine articles and also for concept work for commissioned builds at Old Empire Motorcycles.

He does what’s called a scrolling sketchbook as shown on the short film The Museum by Tom Rochester when he visits the National Motorcycle Museum.

Lots of prints available on his site sketchbooktravels.com

He also produces cut-away drawings and lots of stuff on his facebook whatsit, go give it a look. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is Pascal Servies (the e has a little slope over it) from France.
1950 Speed twin:

He again, uses the motorcycles as the main theme and allows them to tell their own story. Lovely soft, warm paintings full of patina. I love these. Just look at this old 1929 BSA Sloper:

He has loads of these for sale, even has HDs.

What about a Brough Superior:

1 Like

Loads of desirable pictures on that site. Bookmarked for when I get my house sorted.

I agree with you on the vibe of the paintings, and I love them, too, @Iron. These may be my favorites so far. And his Schwinn “Stingray” is terrific!

“Monsters that mean business” Ed Roth’s business card

This is Jeff McCann, probably the guy you’ve never heard of who was an absolute giant in all areas of motorcycle art.

He started off building his own bikes in the 60s and saw the potential in supplying custom parts - “shed built” by Hipsters with their Hitler Youth haircuts and beards isn’t new.
So he starts up his parts business with his mate Chris. Hence CJ Custom Cycle Parts.

He was also a photographer and set up a studio for custom bike and parts photos in his garage. His real talent after building bikes was his talent for painting them. He was Arlen Ness’ go to guy for some of the most elaborate paintwork that was ever seen at the time. He signed his artwork ‘motorcycles forever’ on many a well known builder’s bike.

He’s gone now but his kids keep his flame alight

Go check his hundreds of builds, photos, paintjobs on his flicker page

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45519093@N00/albums/with/190078

I know there’s some serious artwork on bikes these days by some very very excellent artists but it all started with Jeff McCann, the all round seriously good biker Geezer you’ve now heard of.

Nothing to add about this Yorkshireman’s art. Paul Sample is the well known illustrator of Ogri

Thousands of us would stare at his pictures, first in Bike Magazine and later in Back Street Heroes, trying to see all the smutty details in the background. But mostly enjoy the adventures of Ogri, Malcolm, his dog Kickstart and the wonderfully sexy Mitzi

Not all of his work revolved around the, well, when it did

But Ogri and his bike Armageddon was the real attraction in his art

Go find some art to buy

https://www.paulsample-ogri.co.uk/Paul%20Sample.html

He did the cover art for Tom Sharpe novels… like Blott on the landscape and Wlit… but Ogri et al was always the best!

A guy from my old Stomping Ground. Although I don’t think I know him (it’s all a bit hazy) but I will catch up one day. He shows his work locally so I may run up there to have a chat.
This is Kevin Ash’s work, it’s just the job.

He does commissions and all the hot rod, tattoo type stuff. But his motorcycle drawings are great.

These are the type of guys to pick up some original art from. He’ll either become really famous with his art not affordable or will move onto something else and it’ll never be available again. Either way it’ll be a shame not to have some of his stuff on the wall.

I don’t think his websites are going any more but his facebook thingy is

Get him to do your bike, ol’ lady or your car. Or just buy one you like. You know you want to! :smiling_imp:

Loved the Ian cater pics and ogri is just so memorable, always turned to the back page first, I find a lot of the harley chop art overly sentimental with the eagles and nonsense.