Pete's love story

Hi all. I am 71 years of age and always had bikes from teenage days up until a few years ago when health issues curtailed my ability to ride and maintain my bikes. Had a spinal stenosis op 4 years ago, which was partially successful but damaged nerves have not recovered. I am only able to walk around 100 metres or so before my legs/back painfully seize. But, after staying home sitting and mooching around our small garden for the past 4 years I came to the conclusion that if I am able to sit for England I may be able to ride a bike? So with my good wife’s blessing I bought one.

Not in the habit of lifting my legs for that while, I was restricted to a low motorcycle. The easiest that I came across was a 500 Honda Rebel. So there I was last summer, all new gear, blazing a trail for freedom. Well not quite but wow, what a great revelation it was. As though I had never been off of one.

So i was visiting the places i hadn’t been for years, usually bikers hang outs admittedly, all good fun, not a single issue while riding - marvelous! Then the old habits crept in. Hmmm, I think the bike needs a few tweaks. So new chunky looking tyres are fitted, changed the front sprocket, seat, seat tail end changed, sintered pads, gaiters and alloy fork stantion sleeves for that beefy fork look! Removed the heated grips to fit better looking grips, clutch and brake levers, small screen, and on and on. Really enjoyed cleaning tweaking and all the general maintenance. Parked mostly for winter but my life/mind was in a better place after being on depression medication for so long!

Winter I make chilli jams, chutneys and the like. Also make ships in bottles the old traditional way. Extremely time consuming. Eventually, after that tediously long winter, at last it’s dry enough for a first ride. It takes me to my regular bike dealer in Chelmsford, I park, remove my helmet, stroll into the showroom, greet the owner, scan around and stop instantly,. I had seen my next bike.

A Triumph Street Twin 900 2018. White livery. I asked if it was in for service. No, its for sale. It’s on its sidestand and it does lay over quite a bit. Hmmm, I reckon I can get on that if I loosen up a little. Next thing, I am sitting astride it. Not completely flat footed (shortarse) but nearly. Ask a few questions and a deal is struck! A week later, not had a test ride, ride off on cloud nine, unable to believe how easy this was to ride. I filled up with petrol and rode through some of my favorite lanes savoring every gear change and tripping out on that great torque and gorgeous sound. Hopefully I can post the changes I have already made to the bike. Until then, ride safe.

17 Likes

There you go, @OApete. It’s a lovely story and everyone should read it, because we all get it! Change the title or anything else as you wish. And ride safe!

4 Likes

Great write up @OApete :grinning: Bikes best any drugs for lifting your mood definitely!

2 Likes

A great story of how a bike can change your life :+1:

4 Likes

Brilliant.
We all know the unique feeling riding a bike gives.
A great story.

3 Likes

I can relate to some of your experience, I had spinal stenosis op in June 2022, fusing L2, L3 and L4 with 2 titanium rods and bone grafts, fortunately for me mine was a success, I was back to walking miles within 3 weeks. I’m sorry to hear about your situation, they warned me at the time that I could come out of the op’ paralysed or worse but I wanted to get it done as my quality of life was suffering.

2 Likes

Hi Pat,thats great news,your the first person thats recounted a success story regarding the operation.Unfortunately soon after my op i collapsed in a friends garden and rushed to Bury st Edmund hospital,next day i have Pacemaker ! that stops me having another MRI that may have found my problem.A chap opposite me is on Morphine patches ! and has to have stronger patches as his body gets used to them,i hope i don’t get to that stage.In the meantime i will keep hitting the start button Safe ring,Pete.

1 Like

Nice story. Enjoy your riding and bike as long as you can. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi all, thanks for the warm response,much appreciated.Update, i have a pair of TEC slip on’s that i bought second hand,i love the the sound without the easily removable baffles,not loud but a deeper note especially under acceleration which is the best way to hear the sound of any exhaust.simply sitting revving the engine will never give the correct sound especially on a laptop/pc.Anyhow i have put them on and taken them off three times now ! they just do not suit the bike its not the look i fell in love with.Yesterday i received an as new pair of OE exhausts,i am going to try and somehow remove or drill out all or part of the baffles to get the sound to match the TEC cans.If anyone had carried out this change please let me know.In the meantime i have just received 2 28mm steel hole cutters intended for the project,unfortunately the shaft on them are the three sided type !they will not fit in the end of the 30cm hex extension bar i have.I will update the result when completed.cheers all.Pete.

2 Likes

Doing away with the cat under the engine will get you a nice sound, TEC do an “x-pipe” for the job. Its a bit of a fiddle though because you have to undo a frame rail to get the cat out, TEC has a video on it.

1 Like

I have to say that I really like the sound of the standard silencers and find them quite loud enough as they are. But that’s just me: chacun a son gout.

1 Like

Hi,Andy and Dave,yes i have seen the TEC video that shows the D Cat removal but did not want to go that far for the sound effect i would like.Also i have read some poor reviews re: TEC X pipe regarding the quality of finish,my choice would be Motone if i were to go that route.The TEC shocks do not fair well either. I quite like the idea of Hyperpro springs,they apparently tweak to suit rider weight etc,they can be fitted to the standard shocks.Anyhow, today i tried to drill/cut the baffles out of my standard cans ! But to no avail.So i will look for another way.I have a friend that has an engineering company i daresay he would have a solution.As i had one of my pipes off to attempt the work i decided to fit the TEC exhausts back on the bike ! That’s the 4th time ! ! :thinking: :weary: watch this space.Pete.

1 Like

Your street twin is one of the easiest bikes to fit the x-pipe to. I’ve done a Thruxton 1200 (tricky due to balance pipe between the headers) also a street twin and a new T100 which was tricky as the new ones are welded now. Twice I used Black Widow Exhausts for the x-pipe, cheap and exceptional service! TEC was the first one I used and it was fine apart from having to bend the bracket for the sump guard to make it fit.
You can also remove the airbox snorkel from behind the left side panel, that gives a bit more snarl when under acceleration

1 Like

The standard rear shocks aren’t that bad, but their problem in my opinion isn’t so much the springs, which can be adjusted for pre-load, as the damping not being adjustable.

1 Like

I have removed the snorkel and you are correct re the snarl. I will try to contact George at TEC, the slip ons i have of theirs sound almost exactly the same as the standard with the baffles in, and a little too loud with them out.I am wondering if tweaking the baffles would improve things for my liking ? I am though enjoying this problem,but i my wife see’s me laying down again to change the cans back she will have me put in a home ! ! LOL.Pete.

1 Like

Thank you for telling us all your story. I fractured a few vertebrae years ago and initially doctors and I weren’t sure what pain and function I might have moving forwards. I was very fortunate to regain pretty much full function (back to competitive sports etc) after rehabilitation but can relate in a very minor way to your spinal issues. I am very sorry to hear that your treatment was not a full success. You have also really captured what riding a bike can do for the soul.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a picture or two if you were willing to share of some ships in a bottle you have made - they always fascinate me!

3 Likes

Pictures. Yes. Excellent point, @MrsVisor !

2 Likes

These are a small example of my winter hobby,completed 12 during last winter.Pete.

10 Likes

Feels like a lost art in some ways. Not entirely lost, apparently. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lots of hours go into these,drilling holes in toohpicks etc every step is trying but when its time to fit it through a 22mm bottle neck thats the moment when it can all go wrong,and sometimes does ! Start again.glad your interested.Pete.

4 Likes