Recommendations for a mini Welsh tour?

I quite fancy a mini tour (two or three days) in Wales when the weather cheers up a bit.

Southern Wales is easier for me to get to, but anything considered. I like great scenery, great roads and a ruined castle or two to explore along the way.

Just me and the Tiger. Anyone have any recommendations on locations or great routes?

I actually planned a two day route around mid to north Wales which l never did. Can show you the routes on Myroute, maybe not until next week though :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking at your tick list north for me, if at all possible midweek.

1 Like

Once upon a long time ago I rode up through Wales and it was brilliant, but it was all marked on a large, printed map as there was no such thing as satnav back then, so I don’t have the route any more. I do have these, if they’re of any help working out your trip. I keep meaning to create them in MyRoute App. Must get round to it.

3 Likes

I’m sure you probably know but ride magazine has an online portal for their list of good ride routes. One of them is even about castles in Wales. See https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/motorcycle-tour-of-welsh-castles you can even download their gpx file (whatever that is, an old Kawasaki as I recall? :weary:).

2 Likes

Ride probably does. Those are from Bike and MCN . :slight_smile:

Thanks chaps, I’ll take a look through those :+1:

1 Like

There was a GMU arranged on the other forum in Llanidloes in 2018. There are loads of really good roads in that area and the Brecon Beacons. There good hotels in the town and a bunkhouse just outside the town.

A scenic bimble around the Elan Valley damns is a favourite of mine.

5 Likes

Somewhere l’ve got a pic of my ZZR1200 on the dam…

1 Like

…it was quite a day. A few of us on a forum met up, with the run leader a stranger to the rest of us. He took us deeper and deeper into the boondocks, until we were on a glorified gravel track with grass up the middle. My mate on a brand new B King had a very active shit gland, he confided later. And when we stopped for chips at Aberystwyth harbour, the run leader fucked off to eat his chips about 50 yards from the rest of us. Bike forums, honest :smile:

Here’s where we went. Unfortunately as some will know I had all of my posts deleted from TTF in Feb 2022 so the thread I started on there for GMU 2018 is no longer available

4 Likes

Mine too. I’ve been keeping one eye on the webcam at the Visitors Centre and there’s still water coming over the top of Caban Coch so I’m hoping to visit before the levels drop which would be a stark contrast to when I was thete last time

2 Likes

Hoping to get a few days in the Brecon Beacons (and may be a bit further north) in the next month or two if the weather improves a bit. Anywhere is a trek from west Cornwall. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I wrote up my 3 day Welsh trip on this forum last year, that includes links to the routes I did. I can highly recommend Elan valley and Abergwesyn Commons in the section ‘Day 2 - Part 1’. When I go again this year I plan on heading down by Llyn Brianne in that area too, that looks very nice from Google street view.

3 Likes

I live in Whitchurch, Shropshire so about a mile from North Wales border. About 80% of my rideouts are in North Wales. The B roads are simply superb. Some of my favorites: Llynclys-Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog, Cerygudrudgion-Pentrefoelas (part of the Evo Triangle), Llanberis Pass.

4 Likes

Cheers all, there’s some good stuff here and I need to do some planning.

Clearly Wales will require more than one visit!

2 Likes

Easy for you to say :rofl:

Last year a group of us went to Wales for a long weekend, Friday to Monday. We stayed in Llanfyllin at the Cain Valley Hotel. A great time was had, it was that really hot spell in mid August.

We are all booked up for a repeat trip this year and it will be Thursday to Tuesday. The hotel has a lockup garage that we got all 7 bikes in. Good food and drink.

As others have recommended the Elan Valley should not be missed and only 11 miles from the hotel is this. It was carved out of the tallest tree in Wales after it was struck by lightning.

5 Likes

Reading your first paragraph I thought “Friday to Monday ???, that’s not a long weekend”. Thursday to Tuesday is much more like it. :grin: Enjoy.

Ha ha, depends on your interpretation of long. Friday to Monday is twice as long as Saturday to Sunday. So yes, long. Thursday to Tuesday is an even longer long weekend. :rofl: