So, I’m seriously considering ditching the car…

I’ve owned a car all my life and have always been a car enthusiast often owning more than one, but I’ve come to realise that I hate driving now - it’s always such a hassle. I’m mostly retired now and when I work it’s from home so don’t have to commute these days. It’s also just me, so I don’t need multiple seats.

On the other hand I love riding my bike and genuinely look forward to even mundane rides.

I know there will be occasions when I’d miss the convenience of the car (particularly in winter), but as virtually all my journeys are discretionary I can choose to simply not go out! To put it into perspective, in the past couple of years my annual car mileage can be measured in hundreds, not thousands. If push came to shove and I really really needed to use a car, I could borrow one from family members, or even just hire one.

If I did ditch the car, I’d buy another bike - something more practical to sit alongside my Speed Triple - like a Tiger 900 or maybe even 1200 with luggage etc so I could use it for some touring.

Does anyone else just have a bike for transport? I also have an electric mountain push-bike which is utterly brilliant, possibly the best thing I ever bought!

3 Likes

Nearest I got was my ZZR1200, which I bought as a company car. Used year round for work, and touring abroad. I topped 40k in one year. I always had a car available though. Sometimes I needed too much gear for a bike. In your position, it looks perfectly possible, given the miles you’re talking about. Do you have a car in your household for emergencies or WHY? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Go for it! Our car only gets used for shopping and grandparent duties really. They are a pain with MOT"s tax etc and they clog up the roads for two wheeler fun. :smile:

3 Likes

If your not working go for it. I tried it for a full year and there was only 2 days where I took the day off due to ice and snow

4 Likes

If I wasn’t married I reckon I would bounce my car. Unfortunately it would not be practical with my wife who does not share my biking passion.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t ditch the car completely as it can be pretty unpleasant riding in the freezing cold and wet in the depths of winter (though I have done it before), and there are times I need to carry more than would fit on a bike (including the cat) but I already do use the bike in preference a lot of the time.

2 Likes

@NealH It’s not practical for me but hearing your point I’d be getting rid. Worse case you just get a taxi!! Another thought is get a vintage Honda c70/90 as well as the others you want. That way you’ll have a shitter just to nip to the shops with

2 Likes

Not an option in my house… I’d love to have more bikes though…

1 Like

Wouldn’t work for me as I hate the cold and rain. But I have done it in the past when I couldn’t afford a car. In your situation it does sound doable. I get absolutely no pleasure from driving the car (possibly because it’s an Aygo :wink:) but wouldn’t like to be without it.

2 Likes

Lived with the bike only 6 years, in Paris, we were younger, and could take a cab or rent a car if needed.
That was not an issue and owning a car in Paris was a nightmare anyway.
Now where we live it’s impossible to skip the car. And if it’s a 4WD it’s even better.

1 Like

I didn’t learn to drive until i was 27, so had 11 years of bikes as my only transport, i didn’t really want to drive but i was promoted to a field based job. Carless is not an option for me as we have a daughter with downs syndrome who will be with us forever, i would give up driving tomorrow if it was an option.

1 Like

Spoken like a true suvern softie :rofl:

Just to loop back on this. I think I sold my car today, all being well it should get collected next week.

So, no car, just in time for winter. Just as well I don’t have to commute anymore :grinning:

Hopefully if we get some decent weather next week, I’ll be visiting my local friendly Triumph dealer to see what’s available for test rides.

6 Likes

Let us know the highs and lows of your adventure. It’s a long time since I only had two wheels for travel but it’s doable, of course.

1 Like

Technically I will have four wheels, it’s just that I can only use them two at a time.

Having test ridden both the GT Pro and Rally Pro versions of the Tiger 900, I today bought a Sandstorm Tiger 900 Rally Pro with panniers. It’s one that the dealer already has on the way so it should arrive mid November.

To ride, both versions felt very similar. Even though the Rally is more off-road oriented I couldn’t really detect any great differences in how they gripped and handled, at least at sensible road speeds. I went for the Rally version because I just think it’s the better looking of the two - a bit more ‘adventury’.

I was offered a go on the Tiger 1200 as well but declined. I had tried one for size in the showroom (It’s pretty huge) and decided it was probably overkill for my needs - not to mention a lot more money. The 900 is as physically large as I’d want a bike to be for when I have to lug it around.

The performance of the 900 was perfectly fine on the road, despatching slower moving traffic was still easy and I think it will make a nice contrast to my Speed Triple 1200RS. I’m looking forward to planning some ‘adventures’ on it in 2023.

7 Likes

Smashing! P.S. for the love of god, don’t ride around town stood on the pegs… :+1:

1 Like

Happy new bike day :grinning:

1 Like

Congratulation on your new bike choice. November will soon be here :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice one! Good choice of bike - my 900 Gt Pro has just had it’s 18000 mile service.

It’s an excellent all rounder, great for motorway mile munching and touring, but quick enough and with decent handling to be fun without the luggage.

Found out accidentally that they do wheelie quite easily when joining a busy A19 from a filling station with a very short slip lane :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks Steve. I thought I’d be a bit underwhelmed by the performance but that wasn’t the case. It has a very torquey motor that pulls well and actually sounds really nice when extended :grinning:

3 Likes