Tiger 660 Recall

I posted a while ago that my tiger had cut out as I arrived home following a ride out. The problem has not occurred again, but yesterday I got a letter from Triumph recalling the bike. Need to get it booked in.
Anybody else had the letter?

1 Like

Mine does that on occasion when closing the throttle abrubtly. Apparently it’s a known issue. Mine’s booked in on September 14th for a software update that should fix the isse. No letter though!

1 Like

I had the same issue with my 2016 Thruxton R and also with a Tiger 800. Only happened once on the Thruxton and quite a few times on the Tiger. Seems its not model specific.

1 Like

The recall covers the Trident as well. There must be a few owners on here that should have had the letter. Interesting that other bikes have had similar problems. I can’t remember other than the street twin having had the problem on any of my other bikes, and I’ve had quite a few triumphs.

1 Like

My speed triple rs (1050) had it a few times also. Fingers crossed its solved.

2 Likes

My first GT PRO did this 3 times in the first 6 months. By the time it went in to be sorted, it had sorted itself out and I cancelled. My new one hasn’t done it in 3000 miles so I’m hoping it’s ok.

2 Likes

I had this issue with my Trident, used to cut out every other ride or so always when pulling the clutch and slowing down in 3rd or 4th… Took a few trips to the dealer, but eventually got the MAP sensor hose and restrictor replaced under warranty and they flagged up that it was going to be the subject of a recall. mine has been good as gold since, so seems to be a proper fix… I think the new hose has a small offshoot to catch the oil residue which was upsetting the readings and causing the ECU to throw a wobbly with the original part…

2 Likes

Thanks for the update/information @MattC

1 Like

All this complicated electrickery… I remember the days of Avon Speedmaster tyres, 6 volt electrics, manual advance and retard timing, magneto ignition and a dynamo, not forgetting drum brakes. How things have changed…

4 Likes

I had a few “exciting” moments on Skidmasters…

1 Like

These are things best forgotten Ade. It just emphasises that we are a bunch of old git’s :grinning:

1 Like

As I get older things don’t seem to change much. My 3rd bike was a 200cc Vellocette LE noddy bike. It wasn’t that different to the Tractor

Part fairing … tick
Engine used as a stressed member … tick
Aluminium engine parts … tick
Water cooled …tick
Shaft drive…tick
No kick start…tick
Cruise control … tick
Lean angle anti lock brakes…tick

I might be stretching the last 2 a bit as cruise was achieved by the adjusrment screw on the throttle to prevent the spring in the carb returning it to tick over and the LA ABS was passive as the brakes were so shoite.

1 Like

Yes my Trident has had stalling probs occasionally or just a bit of a cough taking of. And i had the letter a couple of days ago. But i Haven’t acted on it yet. Joe

2 Likes

My Street too.

1 Like

Something worth trying to anyone who’s had the stalling thing, make a conscious effort to fully let go of the clutch lever when going down the gears and coming to a stop. Maybe it was just in my head but it seemed to help when I was having the issues. It only ever happened to me when I was going 3rd, 2nd, 1st and stall. I put it down to being lazy and not fully letting go of the lever. Once I made sure to let go completely the stalls seemed to disappear. But like I say, it might have just been in my head.

2 Likes

Mine has so far each time been on steady, but slow, throttle. When it had the 12000 mile service in July, the mechanic reset the neutral adaption as he thought that might solve it. Hard to know if it has, as it has only happened to me three times and I wasn’t able to induce it but fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Well the neutral adaption reset didn’t solve the problem, unfortunately. The Striple cut out as I was just backing right off the throttle to approach a junction yesterday, pulled the clutch and restarted as I was still rolling but it is less than ideal in traffic :angry:. It is the only thing that I don’t like about this bike (but not major enough to be any sort of a deal - breaker!).

That’s prity sh*t TBH MrsV. Is there a safety recall out for this? Triumph need to sort this out PDQ before someone comes a cropper.

3 Likes

No; no recall. Apparently some dealers also acknowledge that there is an issue and some say that there absolutely isn’t. My last one was with a BMW horribly closely behind me which was not good, this one yesterday traffic was light and being polite so no dramas caused. My main worry is it happening round a roundabout or something but it does only seem to happen when slowing for an approach to something or crawling very slowly along. It’s not great when it happens and then you pull out into whatever road you were approaching straight afterwards because of the the fear of it cutting when you’re halfway across with traffic approaching. That said, it is really infrequent and seems to happen once only and then not again for months and months. Considering the mileage I put on my bikes it’s probably every 3 or 4 thousand miles…but still unnerving all the same.

1 Like

I once had an otherwise very reliable BMW F650GS single which did it very occasionally. It never caused me any problems but it could be nasty in the wrong time and place.

1 Like