Very unhappy with the AA!

It’s a bitches fiddle that one…say you’re on your way to an M.O.T. and your car breaks down, will they pick you up or not? Or to a retest after a previously failed M.O.T. Legally you are entitled to do this so are the A.A. to be the final arbiters of the law, personally i don’t think so.

2 Likes

We passed that day some time ago, I’d say :slightly_frowning_face:

Law is about context, and interpretation. Otherwise they’re rules. :slightly_smiling_face:

I got that quote too as first hit on Google, and other search results are for sites saying the oposite that insurance won’t be valid, you can’t trust what you read on the internet :wink: I checked my bike insurance policy as I was curious, and the only mention of the word ‘tax’ is in this sentence:

Cover only applies where your bike is taxed and registered within the UK and your main
permanent home is within the UK.

That seems to be aimed at making sure you’re in the UK but obviously could be easily read as saying insurance isn’t valid if your tax is expired. And we can expect insurance companies to take it that way if they are facing paying out for a claim.

3 Likes

Yup, all about avoiding liability

That is really vague isn’t it? Does SORN count as taxed? If my bike is on SORN for the winter and stored in my locked garage I’m still expecting it to be insured!

As I understand it yes is the answer. If your bike is legal SORN’d you insurance is valid. On the reverse if you bike is SORN’d you do not have to hold insurance. Not sure why you wouldn’t want to mind.

If I had a bike offroad and SORNed for an extended period I wouldn’t insure it. Compared to the cost of insuring my house, which is static and contains items at least as valuable as the motorcycle, it’s a very expensive policy just for theft cover. So it’s a risk-based decision. My bike is garaged and I live in a tiny, quiet village with no through traffic, and essentially no crime that I’m aware of. If I were leaving the bike under a cover in front of a house in a rough housing estate, I’d probably have it insured.

1 Like

As you say, a risk based decision :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now here’s an extremely rare thing - me posting a link to the Mail. I will be taking a shower straight afterwards, obviously.

I was contacted earlier in the week by the journalist who wrote this article after calling out the AA on Twitter. I guess Rachel’s story didn’t have quite the same impact.

1 Like

The Mail? I hope you washed your mouth out with soap after speaking to them…

1 Like

I read this earlier and thought of rach straight away.
In this age, how can they think " it’ll never get out" with social media etc.
Bonkers.

Serves her right, what does she expect driving a Land Rover :roll_eyes: :wink: Should have booked the tow truck before she left home.
( I drive a LR :face_with_diagonal_mouth:)

“If you want to get there, buy a land-rover” if you want to get home again, buy Japanese :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed. I drive one too!:blush:

2 Likes

Every Land-rover owner I’ve come across swears on their reliability, and every one of them was a “Triggers Broom” :rofl:
Ive had two Xtrails a Terrano a Shogun and a Landcruiser and big miles done no issues.

1 Like

I’ve had 2 Evoque’s over 6 years, a couple of minor software issues with the second one that has all the toys but otherwise no problems (so far :grimacing:)
The stealership’s a different matter, over priced and not very good.

1 Like

I once had an early '50s Series 1. It was reliable enough; the only problems being the hairy steering and the 12 miles per gallon. However, I suspect that this conversation is about a rather more recent type of Land Rover…

1 Like

Scrubbed thoroughly with Dettol.

1 Like

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee once…actually, never mind. :grin: