Winter in Spring

My life as a hamster, I know.

1 Like

Lots of snow all day in Aberdeenshire, and more at the moment. 14 cm in Aviemore, at the ski centre, so someones happy.

6 Likes

Wessa
Here’s wishing you all the luck in the world. And do have a speedy recovery.
Joe

2 Likes

What did they say Steve, I hope it’s good news?

It was not the outcome that I was expecting.
So my meet with the consultant (or his registrar) who I have never seen before started like this.
Hi and so you have come to see us about your right knee. A bit taken back I said no I have come about my left knee? Are you sure it is your left knee he says. I say absolutely! Oh it’s just that the X-ray of your right knee is showing worse signs of arthritis than your left knee. Are you sure you are not having problems with your right knee. No I’m not. So having established that it was my left knee he asked about my knee history. I explained how I had got to where I am with the pain etc which was followed by an inspection.
Next came questions about any medication I was on. This did annoy me a little as all the details are on my records, which he had open in front of him. Anyway I take allopurinol for gout which prompted him to ask if it was the gout causing the problem with my knee. This needs investigating, so I will send you for some blood tests. He follows this up with I noticed on your notes that you also have arthritis in your foot. Yes I say and I’m in for some cortisone jabs on the 20th March. Well we do have slight problem then to which I say what is that then?
So it turns out that they will not operate on my knee for six months after I have had the cortisone jabs. This is to ensure there are no steroids in my body.
So I ask what are my options then. He says 1 Do nothing, 2 continue taking pain killers, 3 loose some weight or 4 the operation to replace your knee.

In summary I need to loose some weight, have the cortisone jabs to sort out my foot and then wait six months for my knee to be sorted.

Bottom line is I will have to wait until at least September before any serious option to sort out my knee. This is the whole riding season which is some what a depressing thought as I’m struggling riding at the moment.

I’m in to see he actual consultant on the 4th April, so we will see if he has any other options to offer.

Sorry for the essay :heart:

3 Likes

What a palaver and you don’t seem any further forward, which I’m sorry to hear. I hope you’ll be able to get some riding done this year, even is distances are are a bit reduced. More importantly, I hope that things start to improve at the other end of the summer.

2 Likes

Slightly more on topic, the snow has arrived in our part of the Peak District. Everything is turning white and the fog is thick. It actually looker white than this picture shows.

5 Likes

Have you had cortisone injection before? Mate of mine was struggling to walk with knee pain a couple of years back, had jab(s) and now is playing seven a side football regularly. Fingers crossed you get sorted :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Well, like you said on the phone this morning, at least you’ll be able to ride your Thruxton, if not the Tiger. Small graces mate.

4 Likes

Bummer mate.

2 Likes

DCS will be along shortly to whiten that up and throw in a reindeer or two :wink:

It’s now snowing here in Norfolk for the first time this year. Hopefully it will settle. I like snow when I don’t have to go anywhere :+1:

2 Likes

And here in The Chiltern Hills, Ssspring is Ssssprung….Sort of ,…

6 Likes

Here’s hoping for better news in April mate!

1 Like

Just on me way home on my bike from parents, I got a few flakes as the lightest of snow showers hid the sunset

4 Likes

Typical NHS elective surgery nightmare then! I had a letter to see the consultant about my hand for this coming April (not for the actual op, just to see him). That’s nearly 2 years after I paid to have it done privately. At least if you do get it done this Autumn you’ll have the winter to recover. Good luck for the 4th of April :wink:

2 Likes

Yes had three sets of cortisone in my foot, but the next lot is my last. After this I will have to have an operation to fuse the foot joints lol
The consultant has said that cortisone will not work in my knee, something to with where the arthritis is? :slightly_frowning_face:

The only saving grace of getting older is it beats the only alternative eh! Hope it goes well :blush:

4 Likes

Official snow report: Now at Spaniel depth.

6 Likes

I fled the country…:rofl::grinning:

5 Likes