Helmet thoughts

How do you find the ratchet MrsV? Does it need readjustment regularly?

1 Like

Once I found the comfortable position for me, it has not needed readjustment. It’s very easy to operate and does feel sturdy.

3 Likes

I also have the GT Air 2 and have never had a problem with the ratchet. I can thoroughly recommend one depending on your head shape of course

2 Likes

Thanks both …

I have had a seatbelt buckle type before …and it did tend to loosen over time (a week or so). Ok easy to adjust again…but it nonetheless did loosen…

I think I do prefer the Shoei…

But yesterday I preferred the Shark…

1 Like

I used to be indecisive but now I am not quite sure…

1 Like

I used to be a werewolf but I’m alright Nowoooooo

1 Like

I used to be a banker, but I lost interest in the work…

1 Like

I tried that self deprecating humour, but I wasn’t very good at it.

2 Likes

I used to have Tom Jones complex.
Why, why, why, I don’t know.
But it’s not unusual…!

1 Like

It’s been a long time coming…but I opted for the

Shark Spartan GT Pro as I got it for £370 on a price match which seemed a fantastic price to break the otherwise deadlock…

Got it Thursday.

Been irritating my wife by wearing it round the house all weekend…

Finally took the plunge, took off the labels and went rding in my new helmet this afternoon.

I am very happy, but slightly disappointed.

It is a great helmet in almost everyway.
Comfortable
Light
Crystal clear optics.

But…it’s is really loud…

Louder than my 4yr old HJC fg.

Unfortunately I don’t think that there’s any way to ascertain that without a ride …and if you ride.in it you can’t return it …

I’ll put up with it as most of my riding is 40mph or below and wear earplugs for swifter rides…but it’s certainly an annoyance that this important characteristic can only be found out when its too late.

2 Likes

If you wear ear plugs (and you really should), then loud shouldn’t make any difference. I don’t think any helmet is quiet enough to use without them.

2 Likes

Thanks @NealH , I hear you (no pun intended); I was just acutely aware how loud it seemed…

I do wear earplugs, when not on my urban commute…

1 Like

Hey @DanielB how are you getting on with your Spartan GT Pro - any buyer’s remorse yet? I know you commented that it was noisy but that doesn’t bother me as I always wear ear plugs.

I’m seriously considering one as a replacement for my 12 years old Arai Chaser which is long overdue for retirement.

I already have a Shark Evo ES which I like and fits well which is why I’m considering another Shark. The Arai’s are a lot more expensive and don’t have the internal sun visor which I’ve found to be a really useful feature on the Shark.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s of any help @NealH but I have the Spartan GT and don’t find it particularly noisy, maybe the extra vents on the Pro add to the noise. Might be worth a look as an alternative :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, apologies, I simply missed these messages…

You know what…I have decided that it isn’t that noisy…I mean, yes, there is noise of course, and anything other than my urban commute I wear ear plugs so again not an issue …

I think it’s because the top vent was open that made it seem noisier …

Plus I was/have been ultra conscious of anything…as I try to either justify or begrudge my purchase… (£379 is very much a considered purchase in my book…this helmet is costing me 25p/day…for the next 4 years)! And is A LOT more than I’ve spent on a helmet before (well…on anything bike related on fact, apart from the bike)!

So, now a couple weeks in to wearing it…

I love it.

Obviously fit is so subjective that it is almost a moot point… But I do find it, on the whole exceptionally comfortable especially now it has all loosened up a little.

It was “as comfortable” as the Shoei GT air 2… Perhaps marginally more comfortable - all in the shop. And I could only chose one…so based on that…and the fact the Shoei seemed to look a bigger ‘unit’; plus the Shoei didn’t have a double D…I plumbed for the Shark.

I did notice a tiny bit of a pressure point on the top of my ears just yesterday…but in think I need to just wiggle the helmet a bit more when putting on so my ears “pop” back in to the ear cavity in the lining.

The optics of the sun visor are crystal clear. As is the main visor. The mechanism for both is also lovely…and also tension of the main visor is adjustable, which I thinks a good idea.

I find the location of the sun visor mechanism, now I’m used to it, perfectly accessible (had to switch from a side mech to slider on top).

As previously mentioned, my ‘jungle’ is the urban commute, and as such I have mainly been a ‘visor up’ rider, often using the sun visor instead, as I feel (very personally) that I am more “aware” in traffic…but I have found myself often riding visor down in traffic…it feels that good that I almost forget to open it…

One small gripe, my main visors have always had a side tab for opening, but this has a central one…i find that slightly fiddly in gloves to open if I’m fully clipped down…but I believe that that is just still a “getting to know the helmet” issue… However, when riding visor up…the central clip on the bottom rim of the visor is ever so slightly in my field of vision…a bit like a pointer. Minimally, and only at certain angles (eyes upwards as it were). Again, I think I’ll get used to that.

The skirt at the chin is really good…but it’ll be interesting to see how well (or badly) the inside mists up on a cold wet day as it feels pretty airtight in there - I noticed that ever so slightly (tiny bit of fog at very bottom) on the inside of the sun visor …the main visor has pinlock (came with it) so may not be an issue. Again…another reason my urban commute means I’m visor up as I sometimes don’t get the speed to clear any fog in the throes of winter commutes. I won’t know about that until the other side of the summer…

I am a fan of a double D…I LOVE this double D…it’s quite wide strapped and “large”, so not fiddly at all - without gloves of course.

Initially I thought that actually it’s not a very light helmet, considering the cost…but actually, in use (as opposed to wearing it round my mum’s living room) it feels really light.

It simply ALL comes down to comfort…it was somewhere between “ok” and “good” in the shop…moving toward “good” as I wore it round the house…and I would now say it is very comfortable.

Only YOU can decide on comfort, but putting that to one side, I would recommend this helmet… especially if you can get it on offer (£379 rather than £450).

I am a fan of this helmet, and very glad I bought it.

Without a shadow of a doubt…the best 25p I’ve spent today!!

10 Likes

That’s great feedback, thank you :+1:

2 Likes

The only thing I’ve found with the skirt is that in cooler weather my glasses fog up as there’s little airflow (so doing its job) so I have to crack the visor to demist :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Yes, exactly what I was thinking… :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Quick update…

I did read this on one review,.but ignored it as seemed a one off…

As mentioned, I tend to ride visor up, although not at great speed…

I had cause to adjust the screen on my Tiger 1050…to play with the look of the bike but also try out any buffeting with my new helmet…

At precisely 42mph and above, there is a definite helmet whistle now that the airflow is directly in to the helmet…

This goes if visor down.

This goes if speed dropped.

This goes if screen adjusted to divert airflow.

Just an FYI…

3 Likes

Are these internal sun visors that good? The only time when I don’t ride with a dark visor other than night time, obviously, is when it’s rodding it down.

IMG_1621