Just non-motorbike photos

They like cat food, if you’re feeling generous.

3 Likes

Also ground nesting bird chicks :joy:

1 Like

We used to have hedgehogs in our garden a few years ago, then one year they were gone. Sad really.

1 Like

Finally the voracious predators are leaving our pond and metamorphosing into dragonflies. Hopefully our newts will now return :lizard: :dragon: :fly:

If you look carefully there’s another one half way down on the left of the picture :telescope:

6 Likes

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of my bike at the Desert Rats WW2 site in Thetford Forest. I took a drive (not ride) out there again this afternoon. My main reason for going was to check out the site for suitable drone launch sites as I’d really like to get some aerial shots of the tank on a plinth.

It’s complicated by the fact that the site borders onto the Stanford battle area which is a strictly no-fly zone for drones. The upshot was that I think I found a suitable location so will be returning with my drone in due course.

As a result of my exploration I got to walk around the entire site. There isn’t much there these days as the camp was only temporary and occupied between January and May 1944 as the tank regiment was re-equipped and trained on their new Cromwell tanks prior to taking part in the D-Day landings in June that year.

At the very least it does provide a really nice walk through the forest which is incredibly tranquil and peaceful.

The only buildings are a couple of Nissen huts that now comprise a small museum (not open today) on the old NAAFI site.

I did spot a rather sad looking old BMW around the back.

I’m not sure whether it’s WW2 vintage or not, but wonder whether it was borrowed from the Wehrmacht?

As you walk through the forest you come across various boards at locations that describe what would have been there back in the day.

The daily routine doesn’t look too bad actually and the breakfast actually sounds quite tasty! I’m sure that living in a steel hut in the middle of winter probably wasn’t much fun though. Whenever I see pictures of soldiers posing for photos, I wonder how many of them made it back at the end of war….

It’s worth reading what is written on the Headquarters board. It’s quite poignant. I quote below….

“…….A more polished occasion was the Regimental Dance to which all were summoned by the Commanding Officer, towards the end of our stay at High Ash.
This was held at Oxburgh Hall, the moated home of Lady Bedingfield. Within all was candle lit, scented with log fires……Probably never before had the Regimental Officers gathered for such a graceful occasion. In some ways it was like dinner before the Battle of Waterloo. Never again were we to meet in this way; too many crossed the Normandy beaches and never saw home again” - Lieutenant John Lawson

Coincidentally, I posted a drone picture of Oxburgh Hall a couple of weeks ago. Indeed a grand house.

9 Likes

I’ll be down that way in a fortnight (sans bike), will have to check it out

1 Like

I would be very, very careful if you are planning to launch anywhere close to the training area border mate. They really do not look favourably on any incursion or potential incursion, added to which there are numerous low flying aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) down to ground level in and around the area. If possible I would touch base with the training area wardens to get the best option for both you and them :wink:

1 Like

They have signal jammers too

1 Like

That’s good advise and I do appreciate it.

I do take my droning very seriously. It’s not a toy, it’s a flying camera that can give you a great perspective on things that you simply can’t get from ground level.

My drone is registered with the CAA and has its registration number printed on it (as is required) and I have a flyer id - effectively a drone driving licence. If it came down in a restricted area then I would be very easy to trace and know that I’d be in a lot of trouble! But that won’t happen, because I’m very careful to ensure that I’m flying legally - hence my visit to the location yesterday to check out whether it’s feasible to get the shots I want given the restrictions that exist in the area.

Living in East Anglia, I’m well used to navigating my way around airspace restrictions - there’s plenty of it given the sheer quantity of military bases around here and other airfields etc. I have an excellent app called Altitude Angel which shows all airspace restrictions as well as temporary restrictions that often pop up along with links to the relevant NOTAM’s. The drone software itself is quite sophisticated - it knows when it is in restricted airspace and warns you accordingly and will even tell you what restrictions apply. Often you are perfectly okay to fly in that location as long as you abide by the restrictions in place. Obviously, Stanford is a strict no-fly zone, so I won’t enter it.

I’m a very law abiding person :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Saturday morning lie in

6 Likes

Dogs are very good at relaxing.

2 Likes

And cats, though one is out for a wander…

1 Like

Typical summer weather (yesterday)…

10 Likes

On my walk this afternoon……

Red n green should not be seen etc……

11 Likes

Very nice pictures :+1:

1 Like

They are indeed, although I always thought it was blue and green…

1 Like

That was my ‘Rockster’ in Germany!!

1 Like

Without wanting to sound anymore like the Women’s Institute… Blue and green should never be seen except with yellow between.

2 Likes

My mum always said, blue and green should not be seen together, except on fools. :slightly_smiling_face: l wouldn’t worry about getting a bit WI @DCS222 it has a long way to go to rival the Great Food Mixer thread on TTF. l wonder if @Octoberon could hook that one across…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Oops…

1 Like