Michael Dunlop - Legend

5 Likes

Legend! Seen this cracker pic the other day, not from this year but jesus, different breed!

4 Likes

I’d seen that too - these guys definitely are a different breed!

2 Likes

Proper Motorsport heroes. No namby pamby sighting laps and run off areas :grin:

Probably should’ve had a spoiler alert as I’ve not watched the recordings yet, but I’ll forgive this once. Just hoping he’ll call it a day before he makes the family error.

3 Likes

Sorry about that! :joy:

2 Likes

There’s a tag for that :grin:

1 Like

He will be in Imatra (Finland) the first weekend on July now.

I will ride there with my friend to see the races. Unfortunately Imatra is fully opposite side of the country, just 5km from Russian border. Over all I have not many been times in eastern part of Finland. What I know the local people will speak weird and difficult dialects of Finnish.

The first 2 days are for the practices and the qualifying (Thu & Fri) and 2 last days for the races (Sat and Sun). We will be watching the races only. Unfortunately all the hotels etc. were already full booked there (and too expensive for my budged) so I booked a basic cottage 30km from Imatra for that weekend (Fri - Sun). We got that pretty cheaply (of course we’ll need to ride 60km both days). The cottage is close to the lake Saimaa (the biggest lake in Finland). It is middle of nowhere, but that will not disturb us. Plus there is a small kitchen so we can cook by ourselves and save some money here too.

The best thing is that there is a separately sauna just 10m from the lake.

Back to the race. Peter Hickman was there last year. First time ever. He was 4. in the first race and 2. the second race (superbikes). All the time getting better, but the weather was terrible (raining hard). So the local hero Erno Kostamo won all the Superbikes races. Like he did 2022. Will be interesting see what Dunlop is capable of.

7 Likes

That sounds like a good trip and the place you’re staying looks great.

4 Likes

Sometimes less is more.

3 Likes

That looks great. I wouldn’t mind staying in a cabin like that! :+1:

3 Likes

I prefer simple and practical things as I’m riding. Would be bit weird to go and stay in some fine Holiday In or Radisson hotels (step in as wearing riding gears). Plus I do not look my best after some 500km motorcycle trip.

There is a TV in the cottage and Wifi connection in the area. Plus there is a washing machine in the main building. Looking those pictures … what else you will need? The main thing is to get roof over you and place/possibility to dry your riding clothes if needed.

4 Likes

And the beautiful views :grinning:

4 Likes

Your cottage looks just fine. Enjoy your trip and the racing.

1 Like

Thank you. My family is just middle class. I do not know what is ‘‘standard’’ in other countries.

Lake Saimaa was chosen among of 36 most beautiful lakes in the world. Of course I will just see very small part of it. It is actually one kind of archipelago (inside of Finland) than normal typical lake. There are lots of islands. This express that well: '‘The coastline of the mainland and islands in the maze of Saimaa is no less than 14,850 kilometers long. This is more than double the amount compared to the world’s largest lake, the Caspian Sea.’’
Mold by last Ice Age.

1 Like

Don’t forget your camera. :smile:

1 Like

Spoiler alert, don’t watch this until you’ve seen the superbike race1.

Spoiler

25 second lead at the time too ffs

1 Like

Would be a brave man trying for an interview! :laughing:

1 Like