Things that yank your chain

Really annoys me that! I live in the country, the local village about 4 miles away has grew in size massively over the last 25 years. It’s now full of townies and the local roads are a disgrace with the amount of litter they chuck out. It never used to be like that. They don’t care and expect someone to clean up after them but out here that doesn’t happen. Its disgusting

5 Likes

Same here, always picking up McD crap kids have chucked out the car window. :rage:

4 Likes

Also same here - one particular minor road I run on is where people fly tip all sorts of large items and also clean their cars of all the wrappers, cans etc they don’t want. It’s awful.

What always, always amazes me is when you run or walk somewhere pretty remote, miles from a road, and people have dumped the litter of whatever they have taken to eat. Considering the very reason they make the effort to visit that beautiful spot is likely to be to enjoy the gorgeous surroundings it just makes no sense at all to litter - they clearly have the space to carry the litter home seeing as they carried it and it’s contents out there in the first place. Selfish idiots.

8 Likes

Exactly! Can’t comprehend the reason

4 Likes

It seems to me that the simple answer is to put serial numbers on the cartons, cups and paper bags and then match these to the car reg number. It would then be possible to pick up an item of rubbish and issue a destruction order for the car in question. Obviously car reg’s are linked to people so a second offence could automatically trigger a visit from a firing squad.

5 Likes

My right to litter supercedes your right to a tidy community. Why? Because if you stop me, I’ll be offended.

There, I win.

Farrow and Ball paint, what a load of pretentious crap, had to buy 750ml can due to it being already on some of our kitchen free standing units, £34…yes really £34 for 750ml which is a complete rip-off, not only that but during the restoration we’ve also used Wilco and Rustoleum which are much cheaper and more importantly superior paints to use and in the results too. Will never buy it again, utter crap.

4 Likes

It would appear the price of buying and fitting spark plugs yank my chain…The conversation went something like this
Car Garage …£221. eh? Pause… I thought you said £221… yep (no laughter)! …But I thought they were iridium and last for 100,000 miles? My car has done less than 30,000… Yeah it’s recommended to change them on age and your car is 6 years old… OK, don’t do it at this time, I’ll get back to you later!
So I look around the web, £95 for just four spark plugs… I’ve recovered now with a cold cloth on the forehead… Time to do a lot more digging.
The last plugs I bought were for the trophy at around £4 each, even the iridium versions at the time were only around a tenner more expensive.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this @ wattie

In fact, just the price of everything in general has recently become seemingly gluttonous and unsavoury.

It feels like the end of days and everyone is simply trying to “grab what they can”, despite being unable to take it with you.

People charge the most they can, rather than the most they need to, but that’s endemic and we can’t get away from it.

FWIW I can put my finger on the moment that this happened…

4 Likes

@DanielB it did get a bit twilight zone as the conversation went on, basically for an annual service and MOT with no faults they wanted to charge me around £900! gulp. Doing nothing special, just the usual filters and oil, plus, gearbox oil, coolant, plugs, brake fluid and my tyre repair gloopy stuff was just out of date so that needed to be replaced… I think I’ll go back to independents next year… for crying out loud it’s only a 1.3 litre boring petrol car… it’s not like it’s a pleasure to drive.
Thing was, they only quoted £340ish for the service when I booked it in and then sprang the rest on me in a phone call… Kinda like being ambushed, but I fought back! :rofl:
It was good not having the car in the drive though, it meant I could easily get the two bikes out for a ride. :motorcycle:

2 Likes

Couple of things about this @wattie

First - I run a dual fuel car (have done for more than 25 years) and propane is notoriously hard on plugs for some reason so iridium plugs have long been recommended for LPG/dual fuel autos. I used to use NGK iridium but some 10 years or so ago I ‘discovered’ that there’s a Czech. company that makes LPG specific plugs for my application - a 1.6 Astra G - the company is BRISK.

The LPG-specific BRISK plugs for my ASTRA are a bit weird looking - they have four (!) side electrodes and a relatively enormous ceramic shield on the central electrode. Still, regardless of the unusual appearance, these things work and the last two sets of these I’ve used have each done in excess of 40,000 miles (my car now has175k miles on it) and I changed the previous set only as a precaution, not because they showed any signs of wear, failure or inefficiency. I’ve got another set ready and waiting to go in but, until there’s a symptom of failure or an indication of wear, they’ll stay in their boxes. I actually bought the spare set 3 years ago and, since my mileage and car usage have dropped dramatically in the last few years, I suspect they’ll be waiting at least another year to see the inside of a combustion chamber!

Second, when I first bought iridium plugs for the Astra they were shockingly expensive compared to the standard Champion or NGK equivalent - more than twice the price, I seem to recall - but were purportedly worth the extra for the extended durabilty & mileage over ‘normal’ plugs so I started to search for cheaper suppliers and that’s when I came across this company :-

They also happen to be one of very few UK companies that stock the BRISK plugs and at a reasonable price. I’ve no idea which plugs you want or need but I’d be very surprised if these people don’t have them and at a very competitive price. Worth a look?

Best of luck with your search - 20 odd quid a pop for plugs is well out of order!

p.s what I meant to add was that it may well be worth asking these people if there’s a BRISK equivalent to your manufacturer’s spec’d Iridium plug?

5 Likes

Got my last set for the bikes from there. Bike parts cheaper than car parts? That can’t be right. :thinking:

Thanks, I’ll bear them in mind. From what I can work out the original is Honda Iridium Spark Plugs – 12290-5R0-003, which looks like it’s a NGK DILZKAR7C11S. From the prices it looks like they are built with a warp core and sprinkled with unobtanium. They all seem to be around £29-£35 per plug. Every day is a school day!

1 Like

HONDA bike parts for my Goldwing 1200.
Timing belts, 2 needed. Bike store 70 eur. Same exact reference (used on cars= 13 eur.
Similar example with the water temp sensor. Car supplier 1/2 price.

1 Like

I have no words

If you leave your bike on your drive while you are away you’re asking for trouble. It’s a sad reality of the society in which we live :angry:

3 Likes

I agree but doesn’t excuse the total pointless destruction of a tool for helping others.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Just another example of the depths that the scumbags in our society have reached.
As long as I live I will never be able to understand their lack respect for people or their belongings :hot_face:

4 Likes

Without a doubt, not “chain yanking”; but one of, if not THE most annoying things known to mankind; is when you try to peel a fuc#ing hardboiled egg and you can’t do it without ripping most of the God damn egg apart.

I could easily lose my sh#t whenever this happens!

Prick the blunt end of the shell with a pin before cooking. :melting_face:

2 Likes