What You Been Doing With Your Triumph Today

Well my Speed Triple kept on wetting the bed, so fitted a new water pump.
When I was emptying the old coolant and flushing it I noticed the return pipe for the radiator is half way down the radiator, so there is no way you can get all the coolant out with out taking the rad off :roll_eyes:
So I cheated and used a bit of pipe a syphoned the last bit of old coolant out.

5 Likes

Quick 30 mile blast locally to see what my exhaust sounds like (any excuse) as I removed the baffle yesterday. Answer = loud. Very :rofl:.

6 Likes

Took a spin into Belfast… purely for a photo, because I’m a tart :rofl: it’s also a brilliant wee bike for nipping round the town!
Titanic building.

12 Likes

Sat in my garage looking at the trophy wondering what to do… Decided to check out all the controls, rear brake pedal not right returning slowly and making clicking noises. Had a look around and decided the bush was seizing, so out with the quick fix GT85, who knows maybe it’ll work. Pedal now returns fine but still some minor clicking, ho hum, maybe needs a strip down and the bush checking. A job for later. Then decided after 20 years maybe the control levers weren’t at the right angle. Went to adjust the clutch lever downwards but the allen bolts were seized, ho hum, out with the wd40. Still no joy, so I’ll let it be for a while and hope the wd40 seeps down the threads. Brake lever adjusted down no problems as the allen bolts on that side weren’t seized. Probably should have just taken it out for a ride…

4 Likes

Cracking photo @Andyc1.

1 Like

Bike parking is free though! :joy:

and we had our cheapest lunch of the holiday there. €17 for three large courses.

4 Likes

You’ll find Plusgas a much better bet than WD40 for unseizing threads :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve seen that mentioned a few times but never used it. I will give it a go next.

Bolts still seized. I had a look for plusgas, it isn’t cheap… £8-9 for the aerosols.
So, I decided to give the trophy a clean paying particular attention to the radiator and oil cooler as it’s been getting warm behind that fairing of late (obviously being summer and one of the hottest on record) plus the fan keeps running for quite a while after switching off. Actually, it’s been like that for a few years now and even a flush and fill up with new coolant a few years back didn’t help. Next plan, move that stupid horn that is smack bang in front of the radiator from new, why did they do that?

2 Likes

145 miles for @HelmutVisor and I today (him on the Tuono) into Wales, around the Brecon Beacons area (heaving with bank holiday traffic!!) and a stop for lunch at the Honey Cafe, Bronllys - usually packed with bikes at the weekend but none there when we arrived, although some appeared later. Quick detour to Dom’s Bike Stop in Leominster for a coffee and then home. Nice half day’s outing :+1:.

8 Likes

You can make a “well” around the stuck fastener with blu tack or plasticine then drip in some diesel, leave it overnight or longer then try tightening the fastener a tiny amount, it quite often breaks the corrosion.

4 Likes

OK thanks always good to have options.

I took it out for a while riding it around backroads after it’s clean up/lube/recent oil change. Still running well but there is no doubt these 4-cylinder engines never feel relaxed compared to the single cylinder meteor. I kept looking for higher gears and felt I was always having to hold it back. I didn’t mind the heat off the engine today though, in fact it was welcome, made me think this is the bike to take to Scotland next spring… assuming I can get more comfortable bars etc on it, which brings me back neatly to the seized bolts as I can’t put new handlebars on if I can’t get the controls off these…

3 Likes

2 Likes

I spent the morning chinwagging me buddy who scuttled over to Italy for the Motoguzzi 100 year celebration! Then walking the afternoon in the rain as me bike slipped out of MOT and I misjudged how long it would be before my local garage could do the honours.

5 Likes

If you have access to them, try paraffin or kerosene (domestic heating oil) and leave it soaking. It’s thinner than diesel oil and more likely to creep through any porosity in the corrosion.

3 Likes

We did a North Wales castle tour on Saturday starting with an epic ride up through Snowdon and taking in Caernarfon Castle, Beaumaris Castle (Anglesey), Conwy Castle, Rhuddlan Castle and Flint Castle.

Great roads and nice weather, albeit a bit chilly at the start and finish. :sunglasses:

15 Likes

That looks like a lovely day out @geoffb - I noticed yesterday that there’s a real chill in the air now…beautiful weather though still!

2 Likes

Took a ride up to a not very sunny and distinctly chilly Hunstanton yesterday. I’ve not been out that way for quite a few years and it appears the A149 is all average speed cameras now - which may have caught me out!

6 Likes

Commute for me today - a definite chill and not yet fully light this morning, warm on the way back :+1:.

3 Likes

Sure they didn’t fall out of your ears Andy ? :laughing: