Just non-motorbike photos

It’s on Cornish time. It’s showing 11am dreckly.

1 Like

I’ll be right sometime tomorrow (except the tide time). :smile:

1 Like

Isle of Kho lipe, number 3 daughter.

6 Likes

La “Dent du Chat” (cat’s tooth) with it’s cloud tongue.
Taken yesterday from my place.

13 Likes

Last nights tea, Fried bread, cockles, lava bread, bacon and our own bantam eggs,.

5 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Climate change

A proper Welsh breakfast :yum:

1 Like

Wot no mushrooms or sausages…

2 Likes

Its not breakfast, it’s tea.

2 Likes

As part of my professional exams I had to produce a survey with levels, of a plot of land. The nearest benchmark was about half a mile down the road in someone’s front hedge that had engulfed it over the years. The householder was not best pleased with my staff man having to “rearrange” the hedge in order that I could take my initial reading.

3 Likes

Yes, @Bloodknot, benchmarks were not always in the places that were best. Most of my surveying jobs were in and around London so you can imagine the stuff that was in the way.

I was once surveying over in the East End, one benchmark was on the corner of a pub (I always levelled to two or three and closed the levels to check). One of the patrons emerged and asked what was going on.

We (me and the chainmen) obviously told him that this was the route for the new motorway that was coming through. (Nearly all my design work was for underground tunnels so we were making it up). I asked where he lived and he pointed to a nearby terrace, “Yep”, I said “That terrace is right in the middle of the carriageways so the whole block will be coming down”.
“But what about the pub!” was all he has to say. He wasn’t bothered about his house… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fond memories. Particularly when laying the 100 foot chain to a line. Before it was laid to rest there was always the competition to see who could send the biggest curl down the line which would, if undefended, damn near wrench your shoulder out of joint. :rofl:

2 Likes

Winding people up can be fun.Years ago, I kept my boat at Tayvallich on Loch Sween in Argyll. (It was a great base for sailing to Islay, Jura, Mull and Eigg.) Just beyond the village is a long narrow arm of the loch, called Kyle Scotnish, in which was a mussel farm - lines of square floats, with ropes suspended below on which the mussels clustered.
Anyway, one convivial evening in the village pub, one of the locals, Lachie, recounted how he was walking along the road beside the Kyle when a carload of English tourists stopped, and the driver asked him what the lines of floats were. Putting on his best poker face, Lachie said “It’s a graveyard for drowned sailors”. The tourist didn’t believe him and asked again. Looking round furtively and lowering his voice, Lachie said “We’re not supposed to say, but it’s a secret Ministry of Defence installation - something to do with submarines.” The driver didn’t buy this one either, and said “No, seriously, what is it really?” Lachie replied “Alright, seriously: it’s a mussel farm.” The driver shouted “Oh, f*ck off!” and drove off in a huff.

1 Like

Great area for sailing there mate. We borrowed a yacht from a friend years ago, who kept it in Ardfern. We visited Iona and the Treshnish islands on that trip. We saw masses of puffins when we landed on the latter. They made landfall just beside us, not frightened at all.

Eigg would have been quite a bit further afield though - I’m actually more fond of Muck. Really pretty, and a lovely beach on the North shore.

3 Likes

Ardfern is a lovely place, and would be a great place to be based.
I remember, when sailing from Tobermory to Eigg, I was several miles offshore from Ardnamurchan Point when I encountered a man on a windsurfer. He said he was fine and didn’t need any help. Rather him than me!

1 Like

Tobermory - scallops and chips on the pier! :yum::yum:

You do get some silly people out on those waters underestimating the dangers. We once saw Stornoway lifeboat out just south of Barra, rescueing people who’d hit a submerged rock… read your charts out there!

2 Likes

From memory, my first Dumpy level used to read upside down…
Or has my brain deceived me…?

1 Like

Yes, upside down. At least I was metric and we had the ‘E’ staff.
Screenshot 2023-02-28 081053

Australian calibration?

1 Like

Slightly off topic for this thread, chaps.

2 Likes